Padded Mic Storage Roll

After working on a travel show for half of last year I got increasingly frustrated with transporting multiple mics in multiple boxes, and each box being generally the same size and generally huge. I wanted a solution to safely put all of my boom mics in my backpack and leave the boxes at home. So I came up with the idea of making a sort of tool roll to hold up to six mics. All rolled up, this mic roll holds six mics and is about the size of a CMIT box. 

The roll is padded and is made of top quality materials. The ballistic nylon is PU backed for water resistance and the lining is antistatic and non-pilling. The leather adds some class as well as two accessory pockets that can hold extra collette capsules, business cards or whatever you'd like. Zippers on the pockets are metal YKK. There are foam spacers for the shorter mics on the bottom so that they don't plunge down to the bottom of the slot and can still be easily grabbed.

My friend James Amoros made this guy for me and it has been working fantastically for the last almost month now. We think that we would like to make more so if this looks like something you want PM me!

image.thumb.jpg.c0f011da712d5fd31bbe3e58image.thumb.jpg.0b768baeaac64d8f9d4f5dcfimage.thumb.jpg.3247775bf12a9721c287cd84

image.thumb.jpg.4beda6ebb4c9fdad48706e18image.thumb.jpg.7879e4b5781c8e50db28e5b8

That's a fine looking bag.

I've been thinking along the same lines lately, but I was looking at chef's knife bags, like this one at Amazon. The trouble with these bags is that each slot is only deep enough to accommodate the knife's handle, leaving the blade exposed, without much protection from the slot next to it. This is not a problem with knives, because they lay flat. But mics, being round, would tend to roll and bang into the mics on either side. Not optimal. Your case has the protective sleeve running the entire length of the case, affording much better protection.

Do you have a ballpark cost for one of these?

Thanks Jeff!!

Sarcanon, it was a chef's knife roll that inspired me too! I looked and couldn't find anything that fit my needs. This bag was handmade by James alone so ballpark is $300 give or take depending on options and depending on how many people actually order them. If a few people want them I can talk to James about pricing. He really does excellent work and offers a 1 year warranty. 

Very glad you all like it! Thanks!!

Yeah, pricing is hard on something like this because as a one off it takes time and it is a handmade custom bag made by one person. If more people are interested and we can get between 5 to 10 people who are seriously interested that could probably change the price pretty significantly. Post here or PM me if you would want one and I'll report back at the end of the week where we could get on a final price with final order count. 

Edited by Matthew Sonnenfeld

Very cool, Matt! 

I also work a good bit of travel type shows and usually have to pic one or two mic's to roll out with. This would be a great addition to my kit....let's see if we can get more people together and get the price down a bit. Definitely interested! 

Very nice. I don't carry many shotguns, so not sure that I'm your market, but wanted to give kudos. This is very well done. I wonder if you don't get it patented and sell the design to Petrol, Orca, etc. That's not something I know much about, but these will likely have a market beyond this thread.

Does this pretect your more fragile mics well? The cmit for example is very soft metal and I could see one small bump to this roll potentially bending the mic. I wouldnt worry about 416s in there, but others might be at higher risk. 

Edited by JonG

Thank you everyone so much for your enthusiasm! This early interest is very promising so as I said I will report back at the end of the week with what we can do about the price. 

Jon G, for the month that I have been using the roll I have not seen any issues with my CMIT in it. Granted, it has not been bumped in that way that I have noticed. To be frank, nothing will protect it like its wooden box but this roll is not about that. It is well padded but it is also not an individual hard case. There is a natural trade off with any soft case versus a hard case but I have not had any issues with protection to date. 

The big issue for me was packing for flights and they were taking up way too much room in my carry-on for what they are and I found each box overkill. With the roll I can now comfortably pack my backpack (Patagonia Black Hole Pack) with all of my wireless, all of my mics, Denecke TS-C, Lockit Boxes, and softies and carry it on the plane without concerns. 

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what James and I have come up with. By my count it looks like 6 people actually want to purchase one. At that quantity we can make the mic rolls for $225 each but that is without leather. It will still have the pockets but it will all be ballistic nylon. If you would like the leather it is available as an option for an additional $30. 

If you would like to purchase one please PM me. We will take a 20% deposit and remaining cost will be due at time of shipping. Ground shipping via USPS is included. Estimated time is 3 to 4 weeks. 

Hey Matthew- This looks great! Is there any ability to customize the size? I work with DPA 4017s and Sennheiser 8050s, so wouldn't need so much length. Also, wouldn't need to cary 6 at any time. More like 4. I'm guessing this would entail extra labor, to remeasure, but hopefully not much. Thoughts?

J

Hey Jason, and thanks for your interest! For the sake of longevity I would recommend not making it shorter than it is. I will ship the bag with foam that you can cut to your needed length to work as a spacer. This is what I do with my CMC641, MKH-50 and CS-1e. Otherwise you're right, they would fall right to the bottom. The foam on the bottom adds extra protection too which is nice. And should you get longer mics in the future you will be able to accommodate them. Making a roll for 4 instead of 6 might not be a problem but I will need to ask James. Off the top of my head I would expect that the price would be about the same as the extra labor in the different size would offset the savings in materials. It's really up to him though as he makes it. 

• 3 weeks later...