Those Monoprice Microphones from The Shootout

cory

Ended up buying a pair after the shootout (they were pretty impressive) and they came today. They do not match with each other, but they both sound pretty good-- would not use as a stereo pair, but would definitely use in the same capacity as an oktava. Haven't swung it around on the pole at all yet...

I got a pair myself (and the cigar caddy) after the shootout with the intention of using them for camera mounting, or for scenarios where I think my mics may not come back. For $100 a pair, it's basically an expendable.

The sound you get for the cost is pretty impressive I think, and you're right, they definitely don't match, but at that cost I certainly didn't expect them to.

Edited by Jose Frias

You will alway regret buying cheap microphones.  Good mics are the only part of your kit that will retain value.  If you need a "first" Mr. Microphone, cheap mics are okay.  You will only regret a bag full of cheap mics.  Rent good mics, and save your pennies.  You will thank me for this advise.

D.

You will alway regret buying cheap microphones.

bought a pair of Rode NT5 for 300EUR two years back, got plenty of good use of them and still have them as backup despite having much better mics now. and if i don't need them anymore, i can sell them on ebay for 200EUR.

what's to regret?

You will alway regret buying cheap microphones.  Good mics are the only part of your kit that will retain value.  If you need a "first" Mr. Microphone, cheap mics are okay.  You will only regret a bag full of cheap mics.  Rent good mics, and save your pennies.  You will thank me for this advise.

I listened to these microphones at the shootout and yes they were not the best sounding microphone in the room but I was quite impressed with the sound especially when A / B between other microphones - they dId hold their own. I would not by any means use them as a primary microphone but I would use them if I needed a few more ambience mics of if I needed something to throw on a cam or if I needed in a place where the mic can get damaged. 

Given that I don't currently own them but I am thinking about picking up a pair.

D.

Doug, this is generally good advice, but I think you missed the point why these cheap microphones will be added / have been added to the kit. Jack points it out nicely:

I listened to these microphones at the shootout and yes they were not the best sounding microphone in the room but I was quite impressed with the sound especially when A / B between other microphones - they dId hold their own. I would not by any means use them as a primary microphone but I would use them if I needed a few more ambience mics of if I needed something to throw on a cam or if I needed in a place where the mic can get damaged. 

Given that I don't currently own them but I am thinking about picking up a pair.

These are meant to be added to the toolkit as an additional problem solver for the situations Jack pointed out above. They're not meant to be the only microphones in the kit.

I bought a pair, specifically for all the reasons listed above. My MKH50, CMC641, and DPA4017 are still my go to mics for anything that requires boom work.

Now see this!!!:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11502&cs_id=1150201&p_id=600700&seq=1&format=2

Fury would like to know of bracket mounts recommended for XY & Side/Mid +,- windscreens as well.

Thank you very much

Fury

Doh! Haha! I just got a pair last week based on all the discussions here and elsewhere. They come with foam wind screens. Mounting brackets range from $7 Chinese ones to several hundreds of $$ (ex. Grace Design).

Have only done one test recording so far, set up as a stereo pair on a ukulele. Mine seem to match pretty decent, which is surprising. Also surprising is that they as good as they do.... yeah, everyone says so, but I was still skeptical, and they were way above my expectations sound-wise (at least on ukulele) and in terms of self-noise.

Edited by Johnny Karlsson

• 2 weeks later...

Hello soundgroup,

so these are my first lines in here after about two years of constant reading. I will introduce myself later!

After the glowing recommendations here I ordered two pairs of the monoprice mics due to a late night shopping mood after a way too long shoot last week. I will definately only ever use one pair, just ordered two because of the latest price drop, to some kind of compensate the gear- to shipping cost ratio. I don`t really know, I`ve been too tired. 

So here`s a note to the few german members:

If any of you would like to get a pair, but is put off by the 50 dollars of shipping: i now have a complete set with the two microphone bodies including cardioid, hyper and omni capsules laying around here in Hamburg, still sealed.

As this is my first posting, I am not allowed to post in the wtb/wts section. Also, as explained above it is just meant as a friendly hint to the german members that perhaps already thought about getting one.

Thank you & good night says Christoph