UPS customs fee TentacleSync

jayhartigan

About a week after I received my pair of Tentacles I received a bill from UPS for Customs Duties $14.30 and Brokerage charges $7.00.  Has anyone (everyone) in the U.S. who purchased Tenticles received this bill?

Edited by jayhartigan

Ohh no this is not good!  I let them know ASAP..I was one of the first to revive mine and they were shipped via DHL which contracts out to USPS and did not have to pay any fees, I know Max said they were switching to UPS for speed and price.  They were really concerned that we would have to pay custom fees.  I'll let them know several of you are having issues.  You should reach out to them as well, they are great guys and Iam sure they will work with yall 

I think this is the risk of buying stuff overseas without going thru a US reseller.  I bought some gear used from Canada and without proper paperwork or invoice, the duty was estimated--- fairly high too.  

Shouldn't we always pay duty for items purchased out of the country?

21$ does not sound too bad.

When it comes to UPS international shipments, they base their fees upon the declared value of the item, shipment type, and the final destination. 

The sender has the option to pay these fees upfront, otherwise, the receiver is sent an invoice. The latter happens more often, and the invoice often arrives conveniently 1-2 weeks after the 15-day pay period before a 6% late fee, which you have to call in to waive. 

Anyway, contact Tentacle Sync, and see if you can work something out. 

Edited by Matt Brodnick

Anything shipped internationally has some sort of tax, import duties, and whatever other fun stuff the country that the item is going to decides to throw in there. Just to make it really exciting, every country is different. Some countries make you use different colored ink on the customs form for different fields, and if you don't the item is refused at customs and sent back. 

If the items were bought directly from the manufacturer, then this does not surprise me. When you buy stuff from a dealer or distributor all those costs have already been paid and are then added to your cost of the item. Based on some of the stuff I've seen, $21 is a bargain. You're going to pay that one way or another. It just depends on how you get the item to your doorstep.

Tentacle Sync isn't charging you extra...it's your government and/or the shipping company.

I'm a little surprised at your surprisedness :)

This is the way things happen in this situation all over the world.

My apologies if my "surprisedness" surprised you a little. I was just merely stating my opinion based on what others have mentioned, specifically:

The sender has the option to pay these fees upfront, otherwise, the receiver is sent an invoice.

and:

When you buy stuff from a dealer or distributor all those costs have already been paid and are then added to your cost of the item.

I've bought items internationally before without receiving a separate bill from the courier. I'll still happily pay the UPS bill if and when it comes. I just expect when I buy products in general, even more specifically online, that all costs have been accounted for and added to my bill / invoice, or at least be warned that there may be separate charges from the courier. That is all. I'll move along now since I've pretty much beat this subject to death. My apologies to all.

Edited by Jose Frias

I'm impressed that they were delivered prior to paying the duties and fees. Transactions like this are often held at customs until paid.

Import duties vary depending on the type product, county of origin, and how sharp the border agents are. One way to get around it illegally is to have them shipped as gifts instead of a commercial transaction, but keep in mind that it's breaking the law (smuggling and tax evasion), and at the very least could result in losing the product. These duties and customs fees are usually dealt with between the importer and exporter with a customs broker they have a relationship with, which is why it is common to have, for example, US and Canadian distributors for products made outside of North America. At some point these laws will become antiquated, but it's going to be a long time before that happens.

This is not really TentacleSync's fault. This is how it works when buying internationally. I have oftrn bought things (online) in thr US and I always get the mentioned UPS bill. When I buy stuff for my business, this is a deductable expense and doesn't really hurt much. As Dave said above, it's different with every single country and sometimes even seems to depend on the customs officer. It's almost impossible for a manufacturer to calculate these costs in advance. I don't even think it's possible for the sender (exporter) to pay all of these fees via UPS as only a part is UPSs handling fee. The other part is the government. The choice of courier may affect the handling fee, but it won't affect the import charges