Dual DPA 4098 + Zaxcom TRX742 Car Rig

Ze Frias

Very nice Jose. Can I ask about the mount - was there any audible vibrations from the stereo bar on the mics, and how is the 742 mounted on it, do you have a pic of that at all, from the bottom? 

Thanks! There wasn't any audible vibrations in the recording. But, they didn't drive through the most difficult roads either. I don't have a close-up of the mount at the moment, but I can certainly take one soon. The 742 is mounted using the Ambient QAT-ECO. So are the DPA 4098s. This may change a bit as the rig evolves, but for now, it seems to work fine.

That was what I was wondering. How do potholes sound? Super slick DIY, Jose. Much respect!

I think potholes will sound the same no matter what you're using, being that the whole car vibrates and thuds with a pot hole. Even with the best suspension and a HPF engaged, I suspect that you will hear *something* at least. And thanks!

I think potholes will sound the same no matter what you're using, being that the whole car vibrates and thuds with a pot hole. Even with the best suspension and a HPF engaged, I suspect that you will hear *something* at least. And thanks!

Yes, that's right. I rarely do car rigs, and I forgot how heinous the >20hz is through a car frame.  :\

Show us the mounting hardware part....

Absolutely. Here are some pictures (forgive the flash, really bad lighting where I'm at):

Collapsed:

image.thumb.jpg.bed7ec55530a07dc6cfdb235

Expanded:

image.thumb.jpg.6be29f138fd2580fe5e92936

With the microdot to XLR adapters + 4098 mics:

image.thumb.jpg.4a2db4c7b2585e8a745805d2

The "arms" of the stereo mount and the Ambient XLR  tips at each end are adjustable to get to the best position.

At the bottom of the stereo mount is a 1/4"-20 threaded insert which can be screwed onto a dinkum arm or any other mount/setup of your choice.

I just had an idea for those who are concerned about lack of shockmounting with this rig: how about using the old Shure "donut" shockmount (still available) in place of the Ambient XLR Tip. The XLR connector/adapter would sit within the Shure mount and provide a good degree of shock protection. One would have to experiment because the mount might be too flexible which could cause the whole gooseneck to flex and bang around.

Shure_shockmount.thumb.jpg.2151f4d7ddf23

I just had an idea for those who are concerned about lack of shockmounting with this rig: how about using the old Shure "donut" shockmount (still available) in place of the Ambient XLR Tip. The XLR connector/adapter would sit within the Shure mount and provide a good degree of shock protection. One would have to experiment because the mount might be too flexible which could cause the whole gooseneck to flex and bang around.

Shure_shockmount.thumb.jpg.2151f4d7ddf23

good idea. There's also this shure mount too:

image.thumb.jpg.60941c97f82998ebd761a5bf

I'll try them out and report back.

Thanks for the extra pics Jose, very good indeed. Glad to hear there was no vibrations on the initial recordings. I love the simple, small form factor of your rig. I'd try and keep it small if you felt you needed some shock mounting, and try the neoprene option first, then the bigger mounts. 

Nothing like stating the obvious eh?

From my experience newer DPA 5V mics work fine in normal environment. Older DPA mics can experience RF issues. I had 23 out of 23 DPA 4061s having RF issues when I converted to Zaxcom. I just got a new DPA 5V mic that works just great with Zaxcom. It might even sounds better then 4063. (:

Edited by RadoStefanov

• 5 years later...