OMF from Premiere to Pro Tools

Joe Riggs

Either way, the original timecode metadata isn't in the omf files, so you're out of luck. 

an embedded OMF will always destroy all metadata. A referenced OMF/AAF however will not and if done right from the start TC and the rest of it will be maintained. Contrary to Mica's statement above, I have had good experiences with importing referenced OMFs into PT. 

It's been a while since I worked on a project where the editor used Premiere Pro, but back then Premiere would destroy all metadata of the Audio if it is in the .wav format. Premiere needs (or needed then) AIFF

an embedded OMF will always destroy all metadata. A referenced OMF/AAF however will not and if done right from the start TC and the rest of it will be maintained. Contrary to Mica's statement above, I have had good experiences with importing referenced OMFs into PT. 

It's been a while since I worked on a project where the editor used Premiere Pro, but back then Premiere would destroy all metadata of the Audio if it is in the .wav format. Premiere needs (or needed then) AIFF

Good point Constantine. The .wav vs AIFF thing is very odd though. I also have had good luck with referenced omfs, but the potential for mistakes on the editorial end seem higher. I'm hoping to do some tests this week back at the studio.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off-topic but has been mentioned in the thread: is anyone regularly using AAF from Premiere into PT 11HD without major issues?

After having done some workflow tests with a client we agreed to settle for OMF because the AAF tests had sketchy results. However, I was unaware of another Avid candy, namely that OMFs with video are not supported under PT11HD ( I updated recently).

I would prefer to help editorial with exporting AAF´s rather than downgrading or have a parallel PT 10 running. Any thoughts/tips?