Soldering 5 pin Lemo Questions

BAB414

Hey guys,

I'm pretty good at sound, but not so much at soldering.

I have a 5 pin lemo to 1/8" TS (TC OUT) cable I got custom made from one of the usual suspects and I was shocked to find that the only thing keeping the cable from coming apart was the solder itself with no strain relief. Is this normal for a Lemo connector? Needless to say it's in 2 pieces now.

To make matters worse, I tried to fix it myself and all the pins are now more or less wired together, solder everywhere. So #1) What's the best way to remove the unwanted solder so I can start over? I've watched videos about solder wick (copper braid) and solder suction devices but can't find them in my local hardware stores.

#2) Which pin does the tip get wired to and which does the shield go to? And how are the pin #'s designated? (TC flows into the lemo and out of the 1/8" side)

#3) Will this TRRS cable for iDevices work from a recorder to a sync box? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751715-REG/Remote_Audio_CATCIPL_5_pin_Lemo_to_1_8.html

Thanks so much for the help as always.

-Ben

The shield or ground is always pin 1 unless specified otherwise. Looking at the back or solder side of the connector. pin one has a small raised key in the plastic surround just above it, that's for the ground or shield.

*

1  Ground/Shield

TC Out  5                    2 TC In

4           3

Heating the pins with a hot iron you might be able to shake off any excess solder. Put a  piece of paper around the pin you're soldering as a splash guard to keep the solder from connecting to any other pin.

Good Luck  

Ben,

To answer your question about the strain relief, Lemo connectors do have a built in strain relief. AFAIK, it works similar to the chuck strain relief in Neutrik XLRs. When the "collet nut" is tightened the "collet" clamps down on the cable the same way the chuck does when you tighten the boot on an XLR. The pic below, from the lemo catalog, could be handy for identifying the pieces:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-20_at_10.54.50_AM.th

It should be noted the specific size cables need to be used with specific sizes of lemo connectors. Too big and it won't fit, too small and the strain relief can't do it's job.

If you want to check out the manual there is a table to gives you all the details:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/232/unipole_multipole-9707.pdf

Ben,

To answer your question about the strain relief, Lemo connectors do have a built in strain relief. AFAIK, it works similar to the chuck strain relief in Neutrik XLRs. When the "collet nut" is tightened the "collet" clamps down on the cable the same way the chuck does when you tighten the boot on an XLR. The pic below, from the lemo catalog, could be handy for identifying the pieces:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-20_at_10.54.50_AM.th

It should be noted the specific size cables need to be used with specific sizes of lemo connectors. Too big and it won't fit, too small and the strain relief can't do it's job.

If you want to check out the manual there is a table to gives you all the details:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/232/unipole_multipole-9707.pdf

That makes sense. I think when they made the cable, the cable itself was too small and hence no effective strain relief. Thanks for the insight.

While I try to fix this cable, anyone know if the Remote Audio TRRS cable is able to jam a sync box the way my 1/8" TS cable can? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751715-REG/Remote_Audio_CATCIPL_5_pin_Lemo_to_1_8.html