Nomad and SD faders

pinkywinkieOZ

Hey guys,

I could've sworn I'd once seen a picture in the 'show me your bag' section of a Nomad with Sound Devices faders (552,664), but can't seem to find it anymore. 

Has anyone seen this type of setup? I just purchased a Nomad (yay!) but discovered afterwards that I didn't love the feel of Nomad's faders.. So here we are! Is it as simple as unscrewing Nomad's faders and replacing them with SD? I suppose I don't know the diameter of what's controlling underneath and whether or not they're compatible. 

All ideas are welcome! 

Cheers. Pinkywinkle 

Many local reality mixers I know here in NYC do it. And yes, it is as simple as unscrewing the current fader knob and screwing the SD ones instead. Beneath the fader knob is just a good ol' potentiometer with a flat side surface that operates as the grip for the screw.

This will do nothing for the fader action though, as that is all the potentiometer's doing, but if you prefer the "feel" of the sound devices fader knob, it is a very easy thing to do.

Edited by Jose Frias

To be clear, everyone is talking about swapping out the KNOBS, right? I imagine it would not be easy or a good idea to change the "faders" (potentiometers) from one machine (SD) to another (Zaxcom). So, if it is just the feel of the knobs that is not to your liking, go ahead and swap them for something different.

Several of us in the early 1970s swapped out the Nagra knobs for these legacy RCA knobs. 

RCA-knobs.thumb.jpg.597fa4f233966d48216e

I got mine at Pro-Sound NYC. It was a few years ago so I don't remember the exact price, but it was reasonable. 

As an added bonus, you can use the same hex key to take off Lectro belt clips and tighten the SD knobs instead of having to use the smaller hex key that the Zax knobs use.