Anyone use the KTEK KTA 2

KGraham045

Yup. Just ordered 2. One issue I ran into is that the KTA-2 wouldn't fit on one of my older poles. Probably about 6 years old. Had the metal rings. K-tek is putting on a new bottom section so that it will work. Dave mentioned that they changed the threading a while back and thought this might have been the issue. 

Jose- I have a 742 on the way to use with the KTA 2. I'm a little concerned about the stress on the cone when its horizontal. Any issues? Do you use some sort of brace/support?

Thanks,

J

Jose- I have a 742 on the way to use with the KTA 2. I'm a little concerned about the stress on the cone when its horizontal. Any issues? Do you use some sort of brace/support?

No brace / support used. No issues whatsoever. Very secure and sturdy.

What's the reason/advantage for putting the transmitter at the base of a cabled pole?  It seems to me that the whole point of going wireless is to remove the need for a cabled boom, both in terms of a cable throughout the pole and a cable running to a second location.  I'm assuming it's a weight thing, I can't imagine wanting to have a transmitter 13-20 feet away from me on a pole, but I also can't see the advantage of cost/weight with the transmitter at the base of the pole when a cable could easily go to my bag/hip/whatever. 

Yeah, I know, for some boom ops wireless is a great way to go, and they'll get their monitor feed from the mixer.  I'm simply asking for the advantage when used as a replacement for what would be a very short (and inexpensive, and practically fault free) cable run (this includes a static boom for sit downs and stuff).

What's the reason/advantage for putting the transmitter at the base of a cabled pole?  It seems to me that the whole point of going wireless is to remove the need for a cabled boom, both in terms of a cable throughout the pole and a cable running to a second location.  I'm assuming it's a weight thing, I can't imagine wanting to have a transmitter 13-20 feet away from me on a pole, but I also can't see the advantage of cost/weight with the transmitter at the base of the pole when a cable could easily go to my bag/hip/whatever. 

Yeah, I know, for some boom ops wireless is a great way to go, and they'll get their monitor feed from the mixer.  I'm simply asking for the advantage when used as a replacement for what would be a very short (and inexpensive, and practically fault free) cable run (this includes a static boom for sit downs and stuff).

when I'm OMB'ing it, I don't use wireless boom, I use a coiled cable from my bag. One less wireless to worry about. Though, I have sometimes used the plug on transmitter for freedom of movement, where I may need to set the boom down frequently while still needing to operate my bag, but that's rare.

When i have a boom operator or A2, it would be almost guaranteed that they would be doing wireless boom with a personal feed. I personally prefer the plug on transmitter at the bottom / base of the pole for a few reasons:

- Doesn't add weight to the end of the pole, which due to torque feels heavier than it may actually be, and would likely cause the sections to arc a bit.

- Acts as a counterbalance, which greatly improves the overall feel of the pole, especially when you have your arms way up.

- Most of the time, the transmitter would be closer to the receiver antennas this way, which can easily amount to an extra 10-20 feet of extra room for range.

Ymmv obviously.

Because one can???

One can do many things, not all of them are good ideas, or make sense, or are practical.  Sometimes the purpose of said things can be difficult to ascertain at first, hence asking.  Like why spend $4500 to replace a $30 cable?  I figured there had to be a really, really good reason.

when I'm OMB'ing it, I don't use wireless boom, I use a coiled cable from my bag. One less wireless to worry about. Though, I have sometimes used the plug on transmitter for freedom of movement, where I may need to set the boom down frequently while still needing to operate my bag, but that's rare.

When i have a boom operator or A2, it would be almost guaranteed that they would be doing wireless boom with a personal feed. I personally prefer the plug on transmitter at the bottom / base of the pole for a few reasons:

- Doesn't add weight to the end of the pole, which due to torque feels heavier than it may actually be, and would likely cause the sections to arc a bit.

- Acts as a counterbalance, which greatly improves the overall feel of the pole, especially when you have your arms way up.

- Most of the time, the transmitter would be closer to the receiver antennas this way, which can easily amount to an extra 10-20 feet of extra room for range.

Ymmv obviously.

Thanks for actually answering the question, Jose!  I just wasn't sure if there was some reason I couldn't think of to justify the expense.

One can do many things, not all of them are good ideas, or make sense, or are practical.  Sometimes the purpose of said things can be difficult to ascertain at first, hence asking.  Like why spend $4500 to replace a $30 cable?  I figured there had to be a really, really good reason.

Thanks for actually answering the question, Jose!  I just wasn't sure if there was some reason I couldn't think of to justify the expense.

Being able to avoid jockeying around cable on a busy set with frequent moves is actually extremely valuable. In addition, if you work in ENG, or live sports it's a must have. 

Do you mean versus wired boom to a sound cart, or other solutions of wireless boom? I haven't had a boom op wired to my cart since about 2008 and it's been a huge help. I feel it is safer for everyone, and allows them to last minute hop across camera or around a light when that shadow pops up that nobody noticed before. I don't use wireless boom to the bag I am wearing, but i have heard some people will in a location that forbids cables more than a few inches or something. 

I've always done wireless boom where the boom is cabled to a MM1 on the boom op, and they have that and a transmitter. When they want/need to step off set, they often disconnect and walk away. They have all that extra gear on (though it has benefits). This all-in-one solution allows them to put down the pole and walk away. The mixer at the cart can still monitor what is happening on set and tell if things are getting close to starting up. That can be really helpful if our cart is off in a dark corner somewhere. Us using a MM1 is more because we figured out that setup as a way to give the boom op high quality monitoring. Definitely not the only way, just the one we have used many times.