Arricam lite 35mm

Hey Pete

Arri says 24dB, should not be worse than a red.probably much less noise.

When a 35mm camera is really close like in a wide lens CU, you are gonna hear it, but we lived with it for years.

Can be fixed in post, various methods.

2 perf these days.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

the Arricam LT is my favourite 35 camera in nearly all respects. 

*Very* quiet if in good shape and properly adjusted. if it makes lots of noise, have them readjust it.

In very quiet interiors and small rooms you'll hear it, put on a barney and glass filter if it's a very delicate scene.

I know enough about cameras to get into trouble. Properly setup this camera is quiet.

Problem comes when young "cowboy" DP preps camera and the first thing they usually do is get their tool set out and tighten

every screw on the camera, thinking tighter is better, when in fact will throw it out of wack and make it noisy.

We're moving into a world where the camera assistants are rusty and are forgetting all the tricks and tips needed to get the most out of a film camera. One AC on a short film told me a year or so ago, "man, it's been six months since I last had to check the loop in the gate!" People fall out of practice on this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finished the shoot. The camera was pretty noisy. It seemed to have different levels of noise with different rolls. So on some takes it was ok (though still pretty loud) and on others it sounded like a sewing machine. I assume this is to do with how the roll has been loaded and how the camera has been adjusted? They also didn't bring a barney (despite me asking for one lots of times) so I had to make do with covering it in a thick jacket.

I also had a problem with the cine tape measure the AC was using. When the mics were close I could hear a clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this? They also picked a couple of locations near roads. Pretty frustrating all in all!

I got a sample of the camera noise if anyone is interested I can upload it?

Edited by petesmith

CIne Tape = noise.. always

Also, I think this was probably not properly loaded/threaded if it made noise like a sewing machine.

My memory is that this model was very quiet, esp compared to the 35BL cameras. 

I wont be surprised at all to hear that they had film scratches on your project.

Edited by Christopher Mills
more content

• 1 month later...