The Legend of Studer Tape Recorders

al mcguire

I still have the 'Old Lady' in my control room - a 1/2 inch Studer A80 MkIV.

It's seldom used but on the few occasions I decide to roll tape, I get a big smile.

Tape simulating plug-ins are fine for mixing, but they are nowhere near at producing the same kind of vibe that a real 1/2 inch tape machine does, capturing an analogue mix on tape.

On the back there's an EMI serial number, so it has probably recorded some classic hits back in the days. :-)

I'm going to give it a spin next week.

Have a nice weekend

Fred

Studer A80.JPG

Amazing story! Thanks

We had two C37 machines in each of our 4 studios at ATV Network Boreham Wood.

People were always amazed by the mechanised editing scissors that appeared by the press of a button for tape editing!

mike

Amazing story! Thanks

We had two C37 machines in each of our 4 studios at ATV Network Boreham Wood.

People were always amazed by the mechanised editing scissors that appeared by the press of a button for tape editing!

mike

Hehe, if you lifted  the powered down deck, you could manually move the scissors  too half on. Close the deck, and the next  time the deck was powered the scissors would complete it's "cut". Since most of the indicator bulbs had blown there was no indication if the C37 was on or off,  so any loaded tape would be "editted". The Beeb disconnected the scissors!

How I miss "my Studers" in the various Studios I worked, even today. Still got a Studer swiss army knife

Edited by martyg
sadness