Sanken CS1 and Cell interference

chris_bollard

Is it really the mics or is it the cables?

While working for ABC News durning the DNC in Denver I had the misfortune to cover a presser that Mitt Romney was holding in Denver (an obvious distraction attempt). The event was well attended by the press and we were all forced into a purposly small room to make it look like this was a really well attended event. The usual presser equipment was present: a podium with mic and a mult-box. I got here early and slammed in my plug-on transmitter (butt plug) into the mult. The TV folks were allowed into the room first followed by the ever grumpy print media. They had the last laugh though. The only place left for them to stand was around the mult-box area. I counted at least 20 iPhones and BlackBerry users. Then, durning the whole press confrence they proceeded to tap out text messeges and emails. The audio was almost useless because of the clatter of GMS hits.

The nice thing about news is that usually only a very small part of what you recorded will ever be used and then no one will ever see it again. 30 seconds and you're out!

Is it really the mics or is it the cables?

The reason I don't believe it's the cables is that the problem persists when I've taken the cables out of the equasion and plugged the microphone directly into the transmitter.  I also have used a completely cable-free microphone (the wireless Schoeps HX2000) and still heard the same gar-bage.

This notion is supported (to me, at least) by the fact that changing the mic (without changing the cables) to a more RF-proof design (Sennheiser) kills the problem. 

(Note: the 816 is NOT one of those Sennheisers that is RF immune, and I don't know about the new 80*0 series either, having no experience with them, but I've never had RF issues with 416s or MKH-40/50/60/70).

I've also tried the Neutrik EMC-XX connectors and had one of my CMC6s modified -- none of that has worked for me in reducing the problem.  Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I personally hate the iPhone and BlackBerrys while I'm trying to work. Why is it that the sound department has to put up with this crap and other departments don't. I understand the whole RF issue thingy. It's the human side of it that I'm talking about. Generally I don't have to work with too many "above the line" folks that I simply can't ask to turn off their phones, so it's not too bad for me. Generally I get what I'm asking for, a total ban on iphones being on and all BB's also turned to the O-F-F position. But maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's because I put up a stink and let everyone know why we have to do another take and put the blame on the person responsible for the infraction. Sound gets enough crap for all the rest of humanities indulgencies that make noise.

Hey, I got to go and charge my Blackberry Pearl up for tomorrow! See ya!