Twelco 4x4 TW LP44 Field Mixer

sinnlicht

Hi all, 

Looking for a 4 in - 4 out field mixer. Found little information about the Twelco TW LP44, other than the spec sheet. Some forum members have this in their bag. Reports from actual users would be appreciated on pros and cons. Suggestions on alternatives also appreciated, other than regarding the usual SD suspects, as budgetary considerations make them not possible right now. 

Thanks

Richard

Edited by sinnlicht

I have used some TW mixer once or twice, at least similar looks to what a quick web search revealed about the 44.

Soundwise it was as solid as the SQN I also used to rent at that time. Can't comment on reliability since I didn't use it often enough.

Hi all, 

Looking for a 4 in - 4 out field mixer. Found little information about the Twelco TW LP44, other than the spec sheet. Some forum members have this in their bag. Reports from actual users would be appreciated on pros and cons. Suggestions on alternatives also appreciated, other than regarding the usual SD suspects, as budgetary considerations make them not possible right now. 

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Pink-Noise Audio in the UK have a cracker for sale. I don't think it is very expensive and it's mint and unused. I know because I bought it new direct from the factory for a little job and never used it. Email John McCombie and he'll sort you out.

Sinnlicht, there is also 1 of these on bblist (neither have anything to do with me). I've seen them offered a few times but not used 1 myself, they also do a version with sliding pots. you're in america so having local customer support is useful but plenty of europeans use american kit that has to 'go back' for servicing. i'd be interested in hearing opinions (based on using 1).

Richard,

Pink-Noise Audio in the UK have a cracker for sale. I don't think it is very expensive and it's mint and unused. I know because I bought it new direct from the factory for a little job and never used it. Email John McCombie and he'll sort you out.

They've also got quite an affordable SQN - which have direct O/Ps and sound very good (even compared to SD).

Edited by daniel
pedantry

Richard,

Hi Malcolm, John has already gotten back to me that that unit had been sold. Thanks for the Tip! RL

Thanks for the feedack. SQN or Cooper CS104 are great, but to my knowledge they are only 4x2 mixers. Or are there models that are 4x4? The Foxtex FM-4 is amazing, but I am putting together kit for a full length micro-budget doc. project. Every €/$/£ 200 saved means another TRM50 or other useful addition.

Edited by sinnlicht

This eBay link is actually the manufacturer I'm almost certain. I did some research on the dvxuser forum when I was thinking of buying one and found out that he was the maker. Apparently he will take an offer so the price isn't binding. I didn't buy one in the end so I have no experience of them. Just thought I would mention it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-LP4-w-NP1-Li-ion-battery-ENG-EFP-Location-Field-Portable-Sound-Audio-Mixer-/261957510224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfde26450

Vark Audio sells a mod for the Cooper CS104 that adds direct outs. 

https://id33157.securedata.net/varkaudio.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=32_37

This one on eBay seems to have the completed mod: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281758108358&globalID=EBAY-US 

Hi, indeed the Vark mod would be perfect. The CS104 in the ebay link does not have the mod unfortunately ...

The unit pictured in the eBay link has the direct out mod output connector. One thing that's great about the Cooper/Vark mod is the direct out board is only turned on when the output cable is connected. The board isn't a power hog but definitely has an effect on battery life.

Best regards,

Jim

I picked up the CS 104 on ebay and it is on its way to Vark. Andy Cooper himself has chimed in about getting the peak mod, and the the prefader mod is also planned. The Twelco 4x4 can be had refurbished for a very competitive price, but the reputation of the Cooper appears unmatched in many ways. I will give it a try, and if not, the Twelco remains an attractive option.

Thanks for the feedack. SQN or Cooper CS104 are great, but to my knowledge they are only 4x2 mixers. Or are there models that are 4x4? The Foxtex FM-4 is amazing, but I am putting together kit for a full length micro-budget doc. project. Every €/$/£ 200 saved means another TRM50 or other useful addition.

You need to read specs more carefully and check the print on the bottom of a SQN, you'll notice most models from the series 4 onwards will either have prefader or postfader direct outputs on the "B" output (@-10dB).  I own two SQN's and it'll be a while till I ditch them, it's the only mixer with a h/phone amp that doesn't fatigue my ears after a long shoot day. You can always send them back to the factory for a mod, both mine have made the journey to raise the limiter to +12 & change to pre fader direct outs.  Paired with a 744T it sounds very nice indeed!

But then, you won't be disappointed with a cooper either, they are both great sounding mixers.

Grant.

• 8 months later...
Hello!
I'm a Twelco lp462 owner. Almost the same as 4/4 for this matter:
If someone around here has one, I would like to know how to conect it to my Zoom H4n.
I want to bypass the preamps of the zoom; but I'm concern about gain stages, since i've read the Twelco xlr outputs won't match the 1/4' line inputs in the zoom (Assuming i would use two xlr female to two 1/4' male into the zoom).
Is that right?
Could i use the TA5 output for than matter?

Regards

As I recall, the H4n line inputs are (unbalanced) -10dB, so some attenuation would be wanted if the mixer's output is fixed at +4dB. The H4n XLRs are mic level only. The 1/4" part of the combo connector is line. I'm not familiar with the Twelco mixer's output options.

That said, I don't think you can bypass the mic pres in the H4n, however better pre amps up-front help some with a low level source, be it a low sensitively mic or a low talker.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 6:54 AM, sinnlicht said:

I picked up the CS 104 on ebay and it is on its way to Vark. Andy Cooper himself has chimed in about getting the peak mod, and the the prefader mod is also planned. The Twelco 4x4 can be had refurbished for a very competitive price, but the reputation of the Cooper appears unmatched in many ways. I will give it a try, and if not, the Twelco remains an attractive option.

I don't know if you're still paying attention to this thread. But I sent to Vark a CS104 that I, also, bought from eBay. I'm looking forward to getting it back, with the direct out mod and some adjustments to the preamp gains. And a power supply and the direct out breakout cable.  Vark has been excellent to deal with, and the tech, Evan, seems to be VERY diligent in every detail of his work.