Best coiled XLR jumper cable?

Derek H

Anyone have an opinion on who makes the best coiled jumper cable? I keep having bad luck and getting ones that eventually end up crackly and microphonic... Even though they test okay with a cable tester.

Thinking of trying K-Tek's version with their proprietary right angle female end. Might be a better mate for the Switchcraft panel mount they use in their boom poles. Call me crazy but sometimes I swear Neutrik and Switchcraft don't always mate well together. 

They all end up crackly, but if you take measures to relieve the stress at the connectors, the cables will last a lot longer. Mine used to last about 6 months, but then I started bongo-tying the cable at the boom and and relieving the stress at the bag end, now I get a couple years out of them. 

Anyone have an opinion on who makes the best coiled jumper cable? I keep having bad luck and getting ones that eventually end up crackly and microphonic... Even though they test okay with a cable tester.

Thinking of trying K-Tek's version with their proprietary right angle female end. Might be a better mate for the Switchcraft panel mount they use in their boom poles. Call me crazy but sometimes I swear Neutrik and Switchcraft don't always mate well together. 

No you're not crazy. I've seen that before, no real explanation.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you guys ground pin 1 to shell on both ends for boom jumpers? What about both ends of the boom internal cable? I've gone back and forth on that one over the years... Ooos did I just open a can of worms?

And thanks to senator Mike for his thought provoking PM. Nice to know you're still reading us!

coiled cord is just highly micro-phonic they all suck

I use Beldon 1804A for jumpers nice low handling noise

I only tie the female XLRs that attached to the mic to pin 1, never the male XLR never knowing how a manufacture ties their chassis and pin 1 together in the receiving device