Boom Operator David Allen Smith

George Flores

This isn't official, but it's close enough for me to publish.

David had been battling pancreatitis for years. Earlier this year he had to go to the hospital for a couple of days because of his disease. While he was in the hospital, he got an infection (go figure). It kept him in the hospital for 2 weeks, he lost 50 pounds, and almost killed him. Once out of the hospital he recovered fairly well, but not back to 100%.

Last week he was starting a movie in Los Angeles and didn't show up for the location scout. After being missed at the scout, he didn't answer his phone. A close friend went to his apartment and found him dead in the shower. Paramedics think David died from a heart attack, aneurism or diabetic coma however none of those are official yet.

David was a great boom op, but an even better artist. He had a great sense of humor and the gift to be able to draw. Most in the industry have seen his cartoons. Many of us have them hanging on our walls. Bayard Carey has some classics on his site.

http://www.loopless.com/comics.html

David was a great friend for 25+ years. He'll be missed by many. He turned 50 years old in June.

There will be a memorial service, but it hasn't been scheduled.

I started out in the Sound Business as a Boom Operator and gradually elevated to a mixer after years of being an A2. I did not know David Allen Smith but found his cartoons to be right on the mark and funny as heck. Not answering phone calls and not showing up for a scout is a sure sign that something is amiss. What an awful way to perish. My heart goes out to David's friends and family..... I will share his few cartoons that I have seen with my sound buddies.... - pshap

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

My name is Steve and David Smith was my brother. Dave died 10/21 after suffering a heart attack.

He was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the Pacific off the Oceanside harbor's north jetty, his favorite surfing spot. I had been in possession of our mom's ashes (she passed in 1986), and she joined Dave on November 10, 2008.

Dave's memorial service was held November 9th at the Oceanside harbor and was attended by his wife Tatiana, many of his friends, new and old, and his family.

Of special note, Lori Dovi, she of the iron-clad constitution, was there. In fact, she was there for him always. Lori was Dave's close friend and confidante as well as his co-worker. Thank you, Lori.

As many of you know, Dave was extraordinarily talented at what he did. He was a superb cartoonist, painter, surfer and guitarist.

Dave's niece, Sabra, googled Dave and discovered this site as well as the Loopless Sound website, where some of Dave's cartoons are posted. Sabra found there were some questions being asked in your business about the circumstances surrounding Dave's death, hence my posting here.

I probably won't be posting here again, but if anyone has any questions about Dave I can be reached at percephalous@yahoo.com, and I'll try to answer them. Also, I'll be putting up my own memorial to Dave on my blog at the blogspot site. Mine is entitled "Caesar's Confidential".

I'd like to thank all of Dave's friends in your business for thinking of him and remembering him. He was a splendid fellow and we loved him dearly. Good luck in your new life, bro.

Steve Smith

Thanks Steve.  Very good to hear from you.  I wish I had been able to make the service down in Oceanside.

David was famous for his artwork and on set cartoons.  He gave me an oil painted version of this particular one which is on my wall in my office.  I happened to find the small version in my photo bin so I thought why not share.  Maybe we can see some more.  I imagine Stacy has a few too.

To David...

post-23-130815079138_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Guys,

today David would have turned 51, I decided to honor his memory by launching a site this weekend.

It is meant to be a fun place, keeping in line with what David stood for.

Check it out at www.davidwashere.com.

Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, stories.

I am the sole administrator, but I am expanding the content almost daily (as much as my schedule permits).

Also, as I have noticed there need to be corrections made about David's passing.

The date of death: October 23, 2008.

Cause of death: myocardial infarction (heart attack)

He had severe blockage of his arteries. His heart disease was silent, i.e. we did not even know he had it, there were no obvious symptoms, though this is something that develops over decades.

It is correct that he was in the ICU for two weeks in late June/July 2008, and on a respirator with systemic staph infection. This weakened him significantly, as he lost forty pounds, and had difficulty walking for weeks after his release from the hospital. However, officially, this was never linked to the heart attack. 

There are still unanswered questions, so saying anything else would be pure speculation.

But, the important thing is his legacy: please try and make someone laugh every day, we can all help make this world a little brighter, just like he did. Come see the site. Share. Take interest in other human beings around you.

Thank you all for being a part of his life.

Regards,

Tatiana

DAS surviving spouse

• 4 years later...

Howdy Group,

I came across this thread by a complete coincidence.  I never met David, but I grew up in Oceanside California, with David Allen Smith's brother, Danny.  When I was a teenager, Danny told me about his brother "accidentally" getting involved and working with the sound department for a Francis Ford Coppola film.  I had no idea David maintained a career in the film biz.

If anyone has any more great stories to share about David, I'd love to hear them, and I can pass them on to his family.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC