Gel Concealers for DPA mics? Do they exist?

Del Sound

Hey guys, 

I swear I came across a third party site selling gel-based concealers for DPA mics. I wasn't using any DPA back then, so I don't think I saved it anywhere.  It was in the first half of 2014.  I remember seeing them, thinking it was a cool idea,  then Rode came out with the gel concealers for their own lav a few months later.  I've been googling for an hour trying to find the site, and I can't find anything.  Does anyone else remember them and could point me in the right direction?   

Maybe.  It was so long ago, but I was sure they were silicone, not hard plastic.  I've been having a lot of problems with clothing noises with my 4061's, so I've been looking around for solutions.  I think I'll try these and the LMC sleeves.  Anyone else have a lot of clothing rub with the 4061's? 

What are you using to mount them and what type of clothing ? I have found putting a loop in the cable is quite important with DPA's. I mainly use concealers ( the dpa hard plastic ones) and rycote overcovers on the clothing. I found the tie pods pretty useless, I was constantly getting a  'poly' type squeak with them , concealers in the tie being much better but still no escape from 'chin rub' or wind. 

What are you using to mount them and what type of clothing ? I have found putting a loop in the cable is quite important with DPA's. I mainly use concealers ( the dpa hard plastic ones) and rycote overcovers on the clothing. I found the tie pods pretty useless, I was constantly getting a  'poly' type squeak with them , concealers in the tie being much better but still no escape from 'chin rub' or wind. 

Do you usually stick the DPA concealer to the inside of the clothes? I've not been having great luck with that recently - stuck to inside of top with stickie and concealer and no overcover, might have just been some noisy clothes though.

Do you usually stick the DPA concealer to the inside of the clothes? I've not been having great luck with that recently - stuck to inside of top with stickie and concealer and no overcover, might have just been some noisy clothes though.

No not always I generally default to overcovers ( and my older well used ones work much better ) so I'm covered for wind and hairy chests. If I'm in the studio or definitely indoors I will use them inside clothes but I prefer sticky side on cloth and plastic touching skin. Sometimes I use them in between cloth i.e. In between buttons stuck to the button hole side but I have had rustle problems there before maybe similar to the problems you are having. I tried it there because when I was a cos 11 user this was the norm' with the rm11. Concealer touching a T shirt/vest is ok though. 

Lisala 

Cheers. I'll try overcovers on their own with them. Last time it was a woman with a mostly see-through white long-sleeve top and made my life difficult. Think in the end it was her bra rubbing off the top that was causing the most noise though, very annoying. Cameraman was pissed off they had her wearing that white top too, was silly.

Have had good success  between buttons on shirts with the concealer and generally good on males.

It would be interesting to see how gel would work. DPA's own concealers work fairly well but out of the three I've bought, two have cracked in the middle.

they have gone from a clear plastic to what looks like a foggy plastic (not sure how to describe it) Opaque??   Perhaps this change has made them stronger?

they have gone from a clear plastic to what looks like a foggy plastic (not sure how to describe it) Opaque??   Perhaps this change has made them stronger?

I bought mine last fall, maybe the stock was old. Got to check with my local store.

I made my own. They are way softer than stock. I just made a silicone rubber mold of the original and the poured the material into the mold and let it dry.

Good Idea,

How does tape stick to the silicone? 

Hang on, I just reread your post, the mold is silicone, what did you use for the concealer? 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a two part hardening clear resin. Adhesive sticks to it like crazy. Almost too well.

Got any photos of this Todd? Sounds interesting!

Hi Todd,

I too would love to see a photo of that, myself and my boom op were talking about silicon concealers just today!

Cheers.

lets see it.

Here you go - it's designed to sit between the buttons in a button-down shirt.  I've been using it on a show I'm on with a difficult shirt and it's made a big difference (though this is with the COS-11 version).  The mount snaps together around the mic and then can be Topstuck on both sides to the shirt or you can use Joe's for extra isolation.  The curved surface helps hide the bump from the front.  There is increased visibility of the mic from one side, so it'll be available in black and white (more colors if there's enough interest).  The material is very flexible and very strong.

I've been thinking of a way to adapt this to make a more universal mount.  This one is really just for button-downs. 

2015-09-03 07.25.38.jpg

2015-09-03 07.22.08.jpg