two lavalier mics, why?

Tong0615

I have seen many TV Interviews, which the guests and moderator has two lav mics. I am wondering, why they need two mics? one reason in my opinion would be to have a continuity sound when the moderator turn their head to left or right, but I have also seen some situation, which two Lav Mics being placed almost in the same position, Why is this necessary? Thanks.

Glen is right about Cronkite. My memory is that they switched from an EV desk mic to the Sony ECM-50 lav when it became popular around 1972, but one night the electret battery died and they had to (clumsily) resort to the desk mic again on a live broadcast. From the next show on, I think in early 1973, Walter always had two lavs, one as backup:

1401x788-53227715(1).jpg

I have been in live on-air network situations where both mics were definitely, 100% active and neither was a dummy. I don't know if any local stations did that, but if they did it's a pretty silly idea. 

Edited by Marc Wielage

And I just saw a piece of a Bob Iger speech from the Disney convention over the weekend, and damned if he didn't wear two wireless lavs and windscreens at the presentation...

BN-JW345_iger81_G_20150816081947.jpg

So even on a non-televised live event, sometimes they'll go with 2 mics, 2 transmitters, and 2 receivers... "just in case."

It's also usual in some theatre shows, especially for the lead performers who can't necessarily get off stage for a mic change in the event of a failure, usually caused by ingress of sweat or a cable fault. I've just done a show with Jim Dale, who's worn two complete wireless systems for musicals ever since he was in Barnum, where it was impossible for him to get off stage and mic failure was pretty common because of the acrobatic nature of his performance. I can confirm that even at 80, he's still a very athletic performer. We used two DPA4061s in a double mic mount, but never had a failure, as far as I know.

Regards,

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Added stuff

Sennheiser ME 102 and ME 104 look almost exactly the same. I've seen a combination of these two.

In a live show with audience this makes sense:

ME 102: Omni mic. rich frequency range, no pop and rumble noise: best for recording sound

ME 104: Cardioid mic. making PA mixer happy.

Heh. I had someone ask me to do that with a highway on a feature scout. "Can't you just invert the phase on a second mic and cancel that out?" I didn't end up working on that movie.

It doesn't work with traffic but can work [to a certain degree] with a constant noise like a generator using two trks---one for dial. and one for generator [inverted] and mixed in carefully in post ---It has cut the B.G. for me when carefully done in the right circumstance where the actors are static and using EQ as well.---remember if it doesn't work,no damage done.

J.D.

Well, phase inversion actually gets rid of the sound. It can be hard to wrangle, but I've also had some success.

The single-track techniques that measure a sample of just noise, and then process the dialog, is merely masking the offending noise under dialog. It can work well - and I could not live without RX4 - but it's just not the same thing as removing the noise. 

(Filtering can remove the noise... if the noise is pitched. Otherwise, it's not a viable choice.)