Remote switch & BDS

soundmanjohn

First outing yesterday for my little remote switch and battery distribution system that I cobbled together from bits I've had lying around for a year or two. The remote switch and voltage display clips neatly into a Petrol pouch and the wiring runs into the bag to my Tracer LiPo 10Ah battery and a simple, fused four-way Hirose distribution box. (I found the blue Deltron box on Ebay as part of a set of five for £10 - I'm keeping a couple of the others, but in anyone in the UK wants one or both of the remaining two for a couple of quid, let me know.)

Battery input to the remote switch is via a 4 pin XLR and from the switch to the distribution box, a locking DC barrel connector. The main switch is on the side of the box and is recessed when in the on position, so it can't be accidentally knocked, and the voltage display is checked via  a momentary switch.

I'm going to add a strip of ND to the side of the box with voltage display, just to make it look a bit neater as the box got a bit beaten up when I was making the rectangular cut-out, which was the most difficult part, even with a Dremel.

The whole thing works very nicely and the battery gives me over six hours powering a 744T and my Soundfield ST450. A very satisfying little project that kept me occupied during a week of theatre producer nonsense.

All the best,

John

Remote_Battery_Switch.thumb.jpg.67983217

Edited by soundmanjohn

Nice one John. A nifty little BDS. I'm in the design phase of one of these myself however I'm thinking of incorporating a few regulators so I can also power my DR680 and for USB power.

Would you be able a link to the box from eBay or a similar one? I haven't seen any of them around.

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Hugh, the die-cast box is by a company called Deltron and is from their 462 series. In the UK they're distributed by RS Components and Farnell, and I would suspect that you have an equivalent in Australia. If not, or if you can't find one, drop me a line and a few bucks in PayPal to cover postage and I'll send you one over. I have a USB attachment in the pipeline, but I cheated and just bought a motorcycle-mount weatherproof unit with a flying lead that I'm just going to solder a Hirose connector to. I'm hopeless at cutting square holes, so it seemed the simplest solution.

All the best,

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Couldn't spell Deltron...

tell me about square holes... but i found a way. if you get a Dremel 'workstation' you can have much better control over drilling round holes of course, and then work on it with a set of files. depending on how much time and patience applied, it works out rather well. 

otherwise - a milling machine or CNC. both very difficult to access for a one-off or even for very small quantities... 

-vin

Found this company in Australia who are an outlet for most of the Deltron boxes, although they appear to ship from the UK: here's a link to the grey version of the blue one I have, which it seems isn't available from this stockist:

http://au.element14.com/deltron-enclosures/461-0010/box-diecast-p-c-grey-a/dp/9165649

Hope that helps.

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Added info.