surround on a budget

Sprotnik

Hi.

I was thinking about to have a surround system at home just for editing and small proyects.

I would like to hear from you about a budget monitor system having enogh quality and accuracy in order to be confident working at home that way.

I was wondering about yamaha (5,7 or 8 ) or those little jbl lsr 305 (or 308) whose everybody is talking so good, some adam or something like that...  (Each system with its own sub)

Never tried any of these, I have used genelec 8020 and they are great but they are in the very upper limit of my budget.

I would appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Thanks!

I've been using the BlueSky MediaDesk 5.1 system for quite a while now and like it a lot. Mixes translate well to bigger systems, bass management is nicely implemented and the system is well designed for small studio surround work. Not too expensive, either.

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Spelling

+`1 Blue Sky Media Desk (esp for a small room)--it's worked out very well for me too.  But BS discontinued it about 2 years ago and their new system is much more expensive.  If I was going to replace my Blue Sky system I'd prob be looking at JBL 6325 w/ a sub or Genelec 8020 also w/ sub.  The BS system was a great deal with a very calibrateable sub and simple surround controller, there isn't anything really equiv now in that price range.  Maybe on EBAY?  BS service has been great, esp re parts, replacement drivers etc.

p

Thanks.

I will take a look to BlueSky media desk, but I'm very interested in the equator D5...

I have heard that BlueSky don't manage very well the mid freqs, but never heard that system myself... Monitors and hearing, always subjetive...

I think there's no equator Sub so it would be a third party one...

About the acoustics, yes, I'm considering it and I will work on it, no doubt.

Yes, I know I have to trust my ears but I like to trust in others knowledge and experience too.

I would like to hear more opinions about budget surround system for editing and small proyects.

Interested in adam a5x, equator d5, yamaha hs7, jbl lsr 305 or so...

Advices welcome!!

Hi Protnik.

I have the D5's. Normally I just run them as a stereo pair and switch a cheap sub in and out. I do have them set up to run 5.1 as well. Here's my short take on it (I'm jetlagged but I better write this now or I'll forget):

+ Coax (I like the 'sound' of coax)

+ Clear midrange. Some will say "bright", and they arguably are, but it's also that they're clear, in my opinion.

+ Very good imaging.

+ Cheap (when I bought them)

- D5 doesn't do bass well at all. The reason I got a cheap sub was to 'offload' the bass from them. With the speakers running full range you really don't have to push them hard to get various noise. I think it's called "port chuffing", and in some cases some users have experienced rattling from components that weren't tightened correctly, which leads to;

- This is a cheap Chinese high-volume speaker, so even though Equator Audio checks them sometimes things will slip through. You should probably prepare yourself for an exchange of a speaker. For me it wasn't a huge deal since I'm in the US and they paid for all shipping and exchanges. Being in Spain it might be different.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask..... hope that helped a little though...

PS: I should add that I've both edited dialog and mixed shows on these and it was fine.

Edited by mattiasnyc

Thanks a lot for your advice.

It scares me  to think about transoceanic replacements and support...

Equator seems to fix with my porpouses but this point makes me to reconsider it...

Thanks a lot, mattiasnyc.

I would like to know experiences about a yamaha HS system.

Anyone had work that way?

It wont be a proper studio, it will be a home studio just for editing and small projects.

It would be nice too to know about adam a5x and jbl lsr 305...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a dilemma I faced at one point. Barefoot mm27 monitors are my personal benchmark for a correctly tuned full ranged flat eq curve, however getting ahold of more than 2 is unobtainable. After direct comparison of a handful of very low end affordable monitors including Mackie, JBL, Yamaha and others. I found the Adam A3X to have the closest basic sound qualities. It was a little challenging but I mixed a feature on these that translated very well in the theater.

• 3 weeks later...

I  have a 5.1 small studio using Yamaha monitors/sub and have had good translation success with them.  I also have a blue sky BMC mkII to handle the bass management.  Bought the BMC on eBay since its discontinued.  

Also someone on a similar thread I posted suggested that software bass management has one partaicular advantage in that you can "bake in" your bass management choices.  

When i I upgrade the monitors eventually ( because I blew my wad on an S3 control surface) I plan to go with the focal b6 solos.