A/C - who's job is it to kill?

Izen Ears

Funny but the AC is one of things that you CAN control which makes this sound issue not as important as another I find getting worse and worse with every passing show....

That issue is the working crew...  Grips-Sparks working through shots clanging metal objects,  ( this seems to be a constant these days)  crew, many times 10 or more people walking around during the shot. The Stylist, hair and make-up walking around and always with some trendy LOUD soled shoes... People talking all over the place... In my world, it's the Client Agency people laughing and chattering about Sushi during takes... ruining their own dialog... that they wrote!!!

It's a pretty loose deal these days...some ADs control things better than others... I will let them know 2 times...the 3rd time I tell the Producer...  then, after that they will sink they're own ship...  I no longer get pissed off, or, I'd be pissed off every show...

I am most disappointed in the Grip-Elec depts.... they always tout their professionalism... and then behave like they're only concerned about their work and could care less about the project, the director, talent or the Producer that hired them... sad but true... Sure there are many good crews...and working folks... but I see the loss of on set decorum my biggest threat to being able to record clean dialog day in and day out.

It's getting old....  and disrespectful to our craft as a whole...  

I remember working on some TV material... when the bell rang, not a sole moved or spoke, anywhere on set.... people froze where they were at when the bell rang... it was like the Twilight zone.... two bells rang out again and everyone went about their business.... Now, on location we seldom have a bell, but the term ROLLING on walkie and shouted by 6 people should have the same effect...sadly it no longer does... even on stage... with the bell...

Only a few more years of this....  LOL

AD's often pick up on what the producer and the director care about.  If you are on a commercial being directed by a former music-video director, VFX whiz or still photog, then it becomes open season on sound right away.  G+E and the rest follow suit--they figure no one cares so they do what's good for them.  No use fighting all that.  My fave is after a few days of this having the director turn to me (possibly having never aknowledged my presence before this moment), and ask me if I've "gotten everything he'll need".   In this sort of case the correct answer is "Yes sir!".  (Because he doesn't really want to know what I have really gotten or not gotten for him over a million setups-- it's just theatre for the benefit of the agency folks.)

p

It's become the "Wild West" out there. It's become a pain in the a## constantly having to listen to see if the "hits" are on dialogue.

J.D.

Wow..

Commercials are a bit unnerving for me. I've not had many of those jobs and I don't want them. Visiting agency heads seem to be all about the vacation to Florida, cigars, grouper sandwiches, loud phone calls ~ "..I can't talk now, I'm on set down in Florida...", and rental convertible rides. The PA walking about with the tray of shrimp cocktail...always stuns me.

3 words about commercials that keep me in that rice bowl, Time Money Ratio. In L A you can't beat it. 3 days $$ in commercials is like 5 days $$ in TV. Other than that they do have a high suck factor. 

CrewC

The $$ has to be enviable on those jobs. One thing I DID like, is the payroll table ~ where at wrap, there's a check already waiting. Can't complain about that!

Much respect, if I sounded disrespectful to those who worked the jobs...well, much respect regardless. : )

I didn't read your post as disrespectful at all Rachel. Just pointing out why I'm still there after all these years. I don't think things are near as bad in TV or Films as AFMY's description of our sets in commercials. At least I hope they are not. The day playing I still do on occasion in Film & TV seem way better as far as set etiquette goes.

CrewC

Noise on TV and movie sets is a problem, Crew.

While not as bad as on commercials, as you describe, it's still pretty bad. The advantage we have on TV and films is that the actors usually don't tolerate the interruptions to their concentration. I no longer worry about noise on set. It simply isn't my job to have a quite set. It's production's job. If I need another take due to noise on set, I just tell them. The more it slows them down, the more they are inclined to try to get the set quiet.

I'm lucky that the show I'm on now has cast and directors that really want a quiet set. The AD staff has followed their lead. I never have to say anything. It started poorly, with a noisy crew, but our takes are quiet now. We also get rehearsals, which is a nice way to identify noise issues.

I also like to kindly explain to crew that although they are working or talking quietly, that one person working or talking quietly is quiet, but five people working or talking quietly is loud. It's never just one person trying to be quiet.

AFMY - hear hear!  And, totally.  Such a shame to think of the stellar sound we could get, but don't...

Like your wise self I too no longer get angry.  It's been years since my "rage years" where I had a personal goal to get clean sound.  So much energy saved since then!  My philosophy now is LELI - "let 'em loop it."  It's sad but hey, it's not my movie!

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread!  It's wonderful to be affirmed!

Dan Izen

AFMY - hear hear!  And, totally.  Such a shame to think of the stellar sound we could get, but don't...

Like your wise self I too no longer get angry.  It's been years since my "rage years" where I had a personal goal to get clean sound.  So much energy saved since then!  My philosophy now is LELI - "let 'em loop it."  It's sad but hey, it's not my movie!

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread!  It's wonderful to be affirmed!

Dan Izen

+1. I don't get worked up about these incidents anymore, either. If I feel the frustration meter going into the red...yep: LELI. I like that. Either they learn or they don't. It's not really my job to be a teacher.