AES cables

Jack Norflus

I believe that impedance mismatches cause signal reflection in AES/EBU signals starting around 10m, but that length it's just detectable, not necessarily a big issue.  In some equipment, there could be an issue in the 15 to 30 meter range.  When using the correct spec cable, 110ohm twin axial shielded cable, 150m is the range that one has to consider reclocking or if there is some cabling issue, some out of spec kink, shield imperfection, or manufacture defect in cable, it is at this length that you could expect it to rear it's head, other than outright continuity issues.

A lot depends on the receiving equipment. Older gear used to be a lot more sensitive to the echoes of mismatched wire. These days, it seems like the boxes can lock to almost anything.

Even so, for mission critical stuff, you should use AES cable. And if none's available, try Cat5: the impedance is pretty close, and nothing is carried on an AES shield / pin1.

Or if you want to save money, put a balun on each end and use RG59.

I use 10 feet loon boom "analog cable" with AES all the time. No problem. But if I need a longer range I use Mogami cable advertised to go 300M.

If you use AES all the time just use AES cable. AES cable works great for analog connections.

vice versa you hit a limitation.

Edited by RadoStefanov

Interesting.. I've not had much luck powering a Super CMIT with standard star quad cable from a Nomad. With a 10m cable I got a signal but there were audible glitches every 20 seconds or so, so I have to use the Van Damme AES grade cable. I've just got an Ambient boom with an internal cable of 4.5m and that doesn't give me any signal from the Super CMIT at all, even though all 3 LEDs are on, on the mic. 

Haven't had the opportunity to try powering from a Mini DA42. Might give better results than the Nomad.