Speaking of Comtek frequencies...

ptalsky

Hi all,

Another question.  I'm going to pick up a couple of Listentech Rx and a Tx to test out (I'm really trying to get everything in my kit on AA instead of 9V) and was wondering which frequency area was recommended...72 or 216?  My current Comtek Tx's are in the 72 range, so I was leaning that direction, but was wondering if anyone had experience that said 216Mhz is better.  Thanks again to everyone for all the info here...I appreciate it.

Phil

My current Comtek Tx's are in the 72 range, so I was leaning that direction, but was wondering if anyone had experience that said 216Mhz is better.  Thanks again to everyone for all the info here...I appreciate it.

Phil

In Atlanta the default frequency is channel A  (72.100)  I use them for slates and clients when my 10 R1s are insufficient.  Recently they became almost unuseable.  On an FCC site I saw that Verison had a license for that frequency.  I haven't a clue what they are doing with it.  The trend for radio mics has been leaving the VHF band in favor or UHF.  I assumed incorrectly, that my VHF Comteks were safe in their unpopular part of the spectrum.

I am looking for a reasonably priced ICOM PCR 1000 so that I can scan for something clear before springing for new crystals.

David Terry

David,

That's why I'm looking at the ListenTech's.  They are digitally tunable within their range (again, either 72 or 216).  That way you don't have to worry about maintaining sets of crystals (though, admittedly, Comtek does make it easy to swap them out).  I asked about ListenTech a couple of months ago on RAMPS and several people said they make good alternatives to Comtek.  So I'm going to pick up a couple of them and try them out (if they don't work out, I can always put them up on eBay).  I'll post here after trying them out.

Phil

In my opinion, the Listen aren't as physically robust as the Comteks. I'm actually selling off my beat-up (72MHz) Listen system because I just can't trust them (in the New York City area) to work consistently RF-wise. I'm moving over to Lecro IFB's for boom, director, and script. I wish I could use only AA batteries in my kit, too, but for the RF reliability, I'm going to Lectro.

Getting back to the original question, I think I'd personally go for the 216 frequency range as 72 seems to be getting a bit filled up. But then again, if you're not in New York you might find that the 72MHz system(s) works fine.

Best Regards,

Drew

I have been very happy with the 216 base station for several years now.

Nevcer even had to change frequencies. No serious hits until incredibly far away in some places.

Even my small M216 TX with BNC antenna works acceptably, but with less range (only 10 mW compared to 100?)

Jim Rillie

David,

That's why I'm looking at the ListenTech's.  They are digitally tunable within their range (again, either 72 or 216).  That way you don't have to worry about maintaining sets of crystals (though, admittedly, Comtek does make it easy to swap them out).  I asked about ListenTech a couple of months ago on RAMPS and several people said they make good alternatives to Comtek.  So I'm going to pick up a couple of them and try them out (if they don't work out, I can always put them up on eBay).  I'll post here after trying them out.

Phil

Phil,

check out Comtek's web site, they have new"smart" rcvrs,(same price point as the old pr72b) self tuning in the 72 band all the standard letter crystals. now you dont have to change out the crystals. just program

the letter channel you want in the recvr with there compact programmer and your good to go. (or have your vendor program a few group of letters for you at the time you purchase them, that way you don't have to purchase the programmer, you get more rcvrs if you want)

also,

they have out a smaller base sation fo about half the cost of the bst-50 that will work with the

standard letter channels. 

Fsbella

I'm using one of the new Comtek base stations: BST 75.  Same TX power as the BST50, but w/ no numerical display and with a rotary switch tuner that covers all the Comtek "letter" bands.  I have a big investment in RX in that zone, and the combo of the BST75 and a PhaseRite antenna makes for a very solid transmission even in high-RF areas.  The BST75 is about half the price of a BST50.

Philip Perkins

I wish Comtek would make a smaller and more affordable base station for the 216 series models. I used to have a full base station for my 72 series receivers but after ditching all of that for the 216's I sold the base station to Lee Orloff (who needed lots and lots of Comtek stuff for his "Pirates..." shoot he has been on for the last year and a half.

-  JW