Re-Terminating Countryman EWMs

Hugh Palmer

I recently bought some secondhand Countryman EWM lavalieres and was hoping to re-terminate them to fit a Sennheiser G3. 

I received them today and am a little puzzled as to how to do this exactly. There is a huge preamp looking thing on the end which is essentially housed in the XLR. Having only worked with Sennheiser ME2s and DPAs I have never seen this before and am wondering where to take it from here..

Any advice would be great.

https://goo.gl/photos/mdJ71CtwY77Zajy27

Edited by Hugh Palmer

You have the power supply and xlr connector at the end of the cable which requires 48vp to power the EMW. If you're going to change the EMW for wireless use with a Sennheiser G series then cut off the power supply  and then go to the Countryman website www.countryman.com and look up the wiring diagram for the EMW to the Sennheiser G series. You will need a 3.5mm TRS locking connector to connect to the transmitter.

Thanks Eric. I've found the wiring diagram and I have some of the 3.5mm connectors on order. 

I'm just wondering why it wouldn't require 48v when plugged into the the G3. Or does the transmitter put out a nominal voltage to power the microphone? 

Or is the end of that XLR a type of regulator that will drop the voltage down to the 5-9v that the countryman needs (assuming that the countryman needs lower voltages)?

Sorry about all of the questions, just trying to wrap my mind around this.