742 Line level options

Jason A

Since i will soon be all Zaxcom for wireless, once the RX200s hit my doorstep, I won't have the easy line level tx option the Lectros provide. Modding, or  using a padded cable for the 742 seems like the easiest, and possibly only option between all the tx. I guess a second cam link could work as well, but I don't want to buy one at the moment. Have any of you modified the standard single xlr, or better yet the stereo cone to take line level? If so, any pics? Are you just using a padded cable? Any other options i haven't thought of? And why the hell is Zaxcom so anti line level? I understand not having it avail on talent tx, although it would be a great feature, but a plug on tx is partly (often primarily) intended ENG use where you're frequently tapping into press boxes etc.

I carry a small case with both line and mic level XLR to 3-pin Lemo adapters, along with adapter plugs for:  1/4" Phone, 3.5mm Phone, and RCA connectors, as well as a short XLR extension cable.  This allows me to take a wireless feed from most common outputs on PAs, mult boxes, radios, etc.

I have two of these in addition to the same type of kit I've long carried for my Lectro gear.

I don't see much cabling difference between the systems.  Both require a cable wired for the appropriate level.  The Zaxcom line level version just needs a couple of resistors.  

One of my Zaxcom kits has an adapter cable with a switch for either mic or line level.  For that I used a Switchcraft XLR plug with a built-in switch.  It's quite handy.

Great info! Much appreciated. Good to hear you're both having luck with a padded TRX LA cable. That would be way more convenient, although I like the idea of being able to send a stereo board out via 742 to QRX, or even the rx200 ( i think that will work). So, two sets of cables it is. Thanks again!

Great info! Much appreciated. Good to hear you're both having luck with a padded TRX LA cable. That would be way more convenient, although I like the idea of being able to send a stereo board out via 742 to QRX, or even the rx200 ( i think that will work). So, two sets of cables it is. Thanks again!

I have no doubt one could modify a stereo cone to accommodate a line level stereo input (four tiny resistors would likely do the trick), however, I would think a custom stereo cable to go into an LAS or LTS would serve as well or better.  Also consider using a TRX900 with an STA adapter.

With an adapted 742 cone you'd still need an XLR 5-pin break-out cable for most applications.

I have no doubt one could modify a stereo cone to accommodate a line level stereo input (four tiny resistors would likely do the trick), however, I would think a custom stereo cable to go into an LAS or LTS would serve as well or better.  Also consider using a TRX900 with an STA adapter.

With an adapted 742 cone you'd still need an XLR 5-pin break-out cable for most applications.

Since I don't own either an LAS, or LTS, only LA2s and the 742, the 742 is my only stereo option. Not a high priority, but worth an extra cable to make it work. Good point about the breakout cable for the stereo cone. Would probably be easier to just put the resistors in the cable itself. Also like your switch idea. Might have to steal that:)