DPA 4017 and 4018 Review

Ty Ford

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to get the 8060 out today, and I must say I'm quite impressed. It's a bit more present and punchy than the 4017. Quite 416-like in that sense, but way smoother off axis, and good up close where 416 and CMIT fail due to design.

It still won't be a good match for 2nd boom in a handoff situation, but ok for 2 mics on/off camera, or male/female, or perspective difference in staging and camera placement, etc.

So without more extensive research, preferring 8060 over other shotgun choices. 

I have 4011C DPA which is quite lovely, and a closer match to 50 indoors. Nice as a single mic in a car too. 

I did a bit of a comparison between the 8060, 4017 and 416 the other week.  There's actually not much in it reach-wise (less than I thought).  416 is certainly noisier and the off axis isn't good.  There's quite a drastic difference in sound between the 8060 and 4017.  Not that one's 'better' than the other but I think the 4017 would be a better match with an MKH50, while the 8060 would be a better match for an 8050 (annoyingly the other recordist's MKH50 was being serviced at the time)

Yes the cs3e is horrible indoors, that's where Iam hopefully by the 4017c will take over and maybe even replace the cs3e completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I woud strongly suggest getting a b pre amp in the future if you can. The filter/shelf is very well designed and worth having in many situations. I'm going to get a c pre at some point, but can only see a few rare situations where the difference in sound is worth the loss in size.

I beta tested some cinela mounts and it is impossible to mount a C amp in a cinela "without covering the microphone holes".

While I am all about smaller and lighter I rather have a bigger mic with Cinela then smaller mic with the rest of the mount manufacturers.

Edited by RadoStefanov

I'm using a Rycote invision which fits perfectly onto C pre, and which supports the 4017 perfectly. 

I suppose I work in a more "controlled" narrative environment, where boom ops are only responsible for booming, so handling noise is not an issue. 

yea...one day... One day I will not have to hold the boom with one hand while making adjustment with the other and swinging 90 degrees ... 😊

Edited by RadoStefanov

Obviouslt equipment needs vary. The only thing we all need is quality and reliability :-)

and to that end, I believe that DPA's approach is perfect: a modular series with different preamps so everyone can mix and match to suit their needs. I don't think any other manufacturer has followed this route as decicively as DPA has