Editing software

jason porter

There is also Snapper by AudioEase, which I'll highly recommend. It's intended as an audio file player, so when it's open you can click on any audio file in your finder window and it'll play the file and display a waveform overview. It can also play and show poly wavs containing several channels, show metadata (incl. TC, notes, track names, etc.) and so on. On playback you can mute individual channels and select areas of the file with fades which you can then save as new files or drop directly into a (open) Pro Tools session. This is a very useful tool when going through folders of files when looking for specific takes or when looking for fx or whatever. Format conversion (sample rate and compressed) is also included. So for your intended purpose, it's ideal. There is a demo version, but the full version needs to be paid for. I have used Snapper for years and it's great

Yeh ok Snapper, but crucially does it retain / preserve / display / export timecode, I've tried so many that don't and even Pro Tools makes it hard work.

I have just tried it and yes, Snapper preserves the start TC of the original file. So if you cut the end, no problem, but even if you take a clip from the end it'll still have the start TC of the original. Metadata such as track names and notes are lost, though.