Edirol Roland R4 Pro SSD Upgrades / risk in using BDS

sinnlicht

Just a service note for those still working with an R4 pro. KingSpec PATA IDE 44 Pin 2.5" SSD drives are fully compatible both physically and electronically. They offer various capacities. I installed the 128 GB and R4 pro booted without difficulty. 

Those contemplating working with the r4 PRO and the Remote Audio's BDS need to be aware that the r4 PRO does not have positive/negative ground protection on the 4 pin external power socket. This means that if you attach the wrong device, i.e. a radio mic with the wrong ground polarity, you will fry the power input on the r4 pro. Roland does not do ANY component level repairs for this unit. So this mistake will cost $250 for a new main board.

Edited by sinnlicht

• 8 years later...
On 9/10/2015 at 5:48 AM, sinnlicht said:

This means that if you attach the wrong device, i.e. a radio mic with the wrong ground polarity, you will fry the power input on the r4 pro.

I know I'm replying to a very old thread... but I was just reading this, and curious as to how it could fry the R4 Pro?? As surely the wireless receiver won't be sending any power to the Roland?? It's just sending a line signal (or perhaps mic signal) to it?