Bruce Swedien: Recording Michael Jackson

al mcguire

"I'll use cardioid or omni mics for the Blumlein pairs — omnis work great — but bi-directional mics make it a little difficult."

Slightly odd that he refers to a Blumlein pair and then says he uses mostly omnis or cardioids, rather than figure-of-eights. To me, a Blumlein pair is crossed figure-of-eights. Does it mean something different in the US?

Regards,

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Can't seem to spell anything properly at the moment...

"I'll use cardioid or omni mics for the Blumlein pairs — omnis work great — but bi-directional mics make it a little difficult."

Slightly odd that he refers to a Blumlein pair and then says he uses mostly omnis or cardiods, rather than figure-of-eights. To me, a Blumlein pair is crossed figure-of-eights. Does it mean something different in the US?

Regards,

John

No, in the US, like in the rest of the world, Blumlein is a pair of figure eights mics positioned 90 degrees from each other. Never heard of any other version of the Blumlein that used cardioids or omnis, or anything other than figure eights for that matter.

Some Microphones allow for Cardioid, Omni and Figure of Eight. If it sounds good use it.

Neumann M49

"This is very close sonically to the M149, but not quite the same. It's a three‑pattern mic and the first that Neumann came up with which had the pattern control on the power supply... you could have the mic in the air and still adjust the pattern. I use these for choir recording in a Blumlein pair, which is one of my favourite techniques because it's very natural in a good room. When I was recording with Michael and Quincy I was given carte blanche to make the greatest soundfields I could, so what I also did was pick a really good room and record the synths through amps and speakers with a Blumlein pair to get the early reflections as part of the sonic field.

Yes, understood, but what I still don't get is the reference to a Blumlein pair that doesn't use figure-of-eight mics. Is it just a 90 degree crossed pair of anything? I'm not taking a poke at his skills, just at the terminology.

Confused of London.

Edited by soundmanjohn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...