Laurence of Arabia Production Still

al mcguire

I don't think there's any dialog in that shot. (At least I don't recall any.)

David

I know what Michael is saying, often we see in these old pictures the microphone seems very far away from the actors speaking. The explanation I have always gone with is this: the majority of the scenes we see are on sound stages, really, really quiet stages, sets that have been constructed to accommodate that big microphone on the boom over their heads, and the actors, for the most part, are speaking at a proper and appropriate level --- many of them have had vocal training. All of these factors I have just mentioned are conspicuously absent in much of the work we do these days. The sets are practical (but impractical) locations or sets built in warehouses, there is no way to get ANY boom mic in a position to do any good (multiple cameras, many of them making a great deal of noise on their own), the "actors" may have little or no training and really took it to heart in one of their acting workshops where someone cautioned them not to go too "big" on the screen, etc., etc.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962). David Lean Cinematography: Freddie Young Photo by: Kenneth Danvers

Is this what a 70 mm mag looks like ?

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 5.28.04 AM.png 

"The camera core was the Mitchell FC 65mm camera modified by Panavision for 70mm and placed in a rather elegant blimp."widescreenmuseum.com

Edited by Christopher Salazar

Sure wish we could all wear formal attire on set like back in the day. Those must have been great times. 

I know what Michael is saying, often we see in these old pictures the microphone seems very far away from the actors speaking. The explanation I have always gone with is this: the majority of the scenes we see are on sound stages, really, really quiet stages, sets that have been constructed to accommodate that big microphone on the boom over their heads, and the actors, for the most part, are speaking at a proper and appropriate level --- many of them have had vocal training. All of these factors I have just mentioned are conspicuously absent in much of the work we do these days. The sets are practical (but impractical) locations or sets built in warehouses, there is no way to get ANY boom mic in a position to do any good (multiple cameras, many of them making a great deal of noise on their own), the "actors" may have little or no training and really took it to heart in one of their acting workshops where someone cautioned them not to go too "big" on the screen, etc., etc.

I feel a little better now. Thanks. =)

Edited by Michael Miramontes

Looks like old LA to me--tile roofs+stucco and all.  The mic being high up--yes, actors with theatre training then, as opposed to actors with modeling (or no) training now.  Nowadays even some big films (let alone everything else) are often expected to be recorded with the sound attitude of documentaries (ie "it is what it is").  

p