MKE 2-60 rewired

joaohpc

Hello everybody,

I just recently bought an used MKE2 Gold because it was an incredible deal for an almost not used equipment. The first owner probably used it less than 10 times, and everything he did was inside his home studio so i wasn't concerned about it having wear & tear issues.

The problem is - it was the MKE 2-60 model, which, instead of a plug in the end, or a pigtail, comes with an adaptor for using it together with the K6 module from Sennheiser, going straight to recorder. Before i bought it i searched on the internet about compatibility issues if i wanted to rewire it and found nothing. Wrote an email to Sennheiser customer support and they didn't answer, so i decided to buy it.

I rewired it for Sony UWP D11 wireless kit and although i can get it to work and , there is a terrible noise floor of an unwanted hiss. In fact i have just recorded myself reading the same parapgraph of a random stuff, with both the MKE2 rewired and the stock lav that comes with the Sony. The higher noise floor is there both on the sound and graphically, as you can see on the picture attached to the post.

55f9f3ea42df7_Captura_de_Tela_2015-09-16

Im pretty sure it is wired correctly, and also pretty sure that it is normal sensitivity, so it couldn't be any of this options. Just found the Sennheiser "instructions for use" chart, and there is a comparison of models, which gives a significant difference in impedance from this specific model to others. Could that be a problem?

55f9f3ee32bf4_Captura_de_Tela_2015-09-16

I appreciate any help!

João

I found someone searching for the same info on creative cow. Other than reaching out directly to Eric Toline, this is what I could find.

The wiring is indeed different. On the Sennheiser pack, the tip carries the signal and the polarising voltage. The ring and shield are normally shorted together, and connected to the screen.

On the Sony pack, the connection that went to the Sennheiser tip, goes to the ring. The sleeve remains the screen, and the other wire goes to the tip (can't remember the colour though).

also found this:

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/Export/mke2wiring.pdf MKE-2 wiring

Which states that the blue wire and the shield are joined together at the mic capsule.

good luck

JonG, was your lav the MKE 2-60 model, with the barrel?

Thank you everybody. I guess i'm gonna try wiring it to G3 system and see if i get the same issue. Will post soon if it worked or not.

I've rewired those mics to be used with Sennheiser G3s and it worked perfectly.

JonG, was your lav the MKE 2-60 model, with the barrel?

Thank you everybody. I guess i'm gonna try wiring it to G3 system and see if i get the same issue. Will post soon if it worked or not.

• 6 years later...

Hello, Guys, I’m glad I found you. I needed a couple mke2 lavs to be used on my rode wireless go II system.     Thing is I got a mke2 ew gold with 3.5mm plug which worked perfectly, but the 2nd lav I could put my hands on is the mke2 -4 that comes with ta4f jack, and needed to know how to wire it, if it is possible, to a 3.5mm sennheiser replacement Jack, I just ordered. I’ve read the red wire goes on the tip, and the others to the ring and sleeve altogether, but I’m not sure. If you can help me, I appreciate your guidance.  Greetings