New VdB poles 2015

Derek H

https://vimeopro.com/ipstv/ips-tv-at-ibc-2015/video/139217326

Seems like they're trying for yet another new locking mechanism. Hopefully better than the last generation I owned which I can only describe as terrible. Too bad because they are very rigid and I like the glossy section, very low handling noise.

I liked the last generation, because the locking threads / collars are very finely graduated, and it is possible to set them such that the pole can be extended/ collapsed without touching the collars, but with sufficient friction to stop a 416 size mic with full Rycote and Windjammer from twisting.

So very fast to work with, excellent as far as I am concerned.

I have two Vdb poles one of which is about 20 years old and I love that pole. The locks are great and in my opinion its the best pole I've ever used.

And I have a Vdb thats about 10 to 15 years old and the locks suck. Possibly the worst pole I've ever used.

Those locks look pretty cool and I would be very intrested in taking it out for a test drive.

• 1 month later...

Are the new locks being used yet? Has anyone had a chance to try them? I'm looking to get a new 12 or 14 footer and am considering the vdb large. Was looking at one in the shop though it made a pretty loud noise as it was opened and closed. Maybe air or the graphite itself passing through the locks Is this normal? Does the noise go away with use? Thanks!

One of the great things about VDB poles was that, because of the precision and fineness of the thread, it was quite easy to find a position where there was sufficient friction to stop the mic twisting (even a 416 style in basket with windjammer), but remained sufficiently loose to just be able to pull the pole out without touching the locking collars. This made them very fast to use, and one of the main reasons I have stuck with them for many years.

I wonder if the new locks will offer this?

It's something I always test for when evaluating boom poles, and none come close to the now soon to be previous model of the VDB for this.

Edited by pindrop

Inconsistent would be the best word to describe my experience with Vdb poles. Some have been fantastic, unfortunately the one I actually owned and paid the most for had terrible locks. Even after a trip back to France it still came back to me with nearly unusable locks. Lots of mic twisting. 

I like vdB poles for the reasons others have listed.  However, each of my three is built differently, and performs differently.

I like my K-Tek poles because they perform consistently and K-Tek support is second to none.  The latter can't be said about vdB or Loon.

Among the three brands, when your pole needs refurbing, you'll be by far the happiest if you own a K-Tek.