Abetek Button-down Mounts now shipping

Abe Dolinger

Hey all, just wanted to let you know my button-down lav mounts are now available at Pro Sound.  You can get them in black or white for the COS-11, DPA 4060 series, or B6.

http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SABEMICMOUNT.html

I made these to deal with a really awful work shirt on a show I've been on this summer.  Starchy, crackly and dense, it responded weakly to some of my favorite tricks but was still a pain.  I had the idea to brute-force a solution that would give the mic some clearance and also create a dead space in the shirt, movement-wise.  I tried a couple of different materials and this is the result.  The mounts are very flexible, vibration-absorbent, and strong - they hold up to a lot of abuse.  I use the COS-11 version every day on this show and it's been a lifesaver.  It doesn't prevent truly awful things like arm-crossing, but normal movement is now totally acceptable in my case.

I recommend using it vertically, between the shirt buttons near the solar plexus, so the mic is barely hidden.  You can use 1/2" Topstick, or Joe's Sticky Stuff if you need extra isolation.  The mic comes out at an angle because I like the way it sounds better than purely horizontal.

Any questions please ask!

Thanks,

Abe

mount_w_mic.jpg

more photos please, including to show how it mounts!!

Many thanks,

sb

Glad you asked, I was just working on these!

Step 1 - Snap the mount together around the mic
mount-step-01.thumb.jpg.1e078fcee4dbb6bemount-step-02.thumb.jpg.5d668e6e78f4bdf2
Step 2 - tape each side

mount-step-03.thumb.jpg.0f150a2b6f257272mount-step-04.thumb.jpg.235b38a1e5699c60

Step 3 - place in the shirt, curved side outward (the curve disguises the mount from the front)

mount-step-05.thumb.jpg.f953ef9cfd62ba29

- as you can see in this photo

mount-step-06.thumb.jpg.f307b363013d8369

Here's the mount from the side

mount-step-07.thumb.jpg.a53cd11f728bb9b3

And a picture of the shirt on me

mount-step-09.thumb.jpg.b854731a25e99375

Here's a couple to show the flexible nature of the material -

mount-step-10.thumb.jpg.ff48c9d495f4bba5mount-step-11.thumb.jpg.ba9ca7304508eafa

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the compliments! Glad they are working out for you.

On 12/15/2015 at 11:53 PM, Peter Mega said:

How reusable are these or are they a one off, throw away?

How can we get these in Australia? Do you have a distributor here?

Nice product. 

Thanks

Peter 

Hey Peter. These are very durable. I don't think you could "break" them without a blade.

After the holidays I'm working on getting them to distributors in Canada and the UK. If you want to introduce me to a local distributor of yours, email me at Abe@abetek.co. Currently just through Pro Sound in the US. Thanks for your patience!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Here's an obvious question - colors!  If this is a 3D printed product, let's have some color choices!  At the very least, a white and red version.  I ordered a few today and I'm excited to try em out!

Dan Izen

Hey Dan, thanks for getting some! 

White is already available.  I could do a bunch of other colors, but it would have to be a minimum order of about 10.  So if enough people comment here that you want a particular color I'll be happy to supply it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 5:22 PM, chriskellett said:

Looks like a great idea Abe, I will try a few. The color white comes to mind when looking at other options in the future, that way we can color them as need be on set. 

Thanks Chris!  There are a couple of white Sanken mounts in your future, I'll get in touch with you soon.  I do make black & white for all models.

I'm happy to note that these are now available at

Location Sound in Los Angeles

Sonotechnique in Montreal

I'm in touch with retailers in the UK and Australia, so hopefully I will have good news on those fronts soon.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Thoughts on wind protection? Can you use the stock cos11 windscreen with this or are you then just back to the shirt touching the mic? 

Looks like you could almost wrap the end of the cos11 in an overcover and still fit it in the mount.

Yes and yes. You can position the mic so the metal windscreen will fit, but it's almost as big as the mount. It won't definitely touch but it increases the chances by a lot. 

I'd recommend cutting an overcover in half and using that instead, on the side of the mount. You'd have to make a slit in the tape to let the mic poke through.