A new forum for URGENT SOS?

Bash

Hi Jeff,

I posted last Saturday in I think it was 'current' as I was looking for some help in the SF area that day. I got two replies, but they were too late.

Might it be worth one new forum on the system, for things that are of an urgent/sos nature?

Just a thought.....

Kindest regards from Moss Landing, near monterey... off to SF tomorrow - what should I take my lovely wife to see? We have just Friday I believe....

Kindest,

sb

Good suggestion, Bash --- I was really crushed that JWSOUND didn't come through for you on the upload issue. So many times people have responded almost immediately to considerably less important things, I wish someone had been able to help you in time.

I will think about an URGENT section but I'm not sure that even with a name like "URGENT" it would make any difference. It shall be considered and thank you for the suggestion.

I'm sorry, but your request to upload media to a cloud or some server unknown is not legitimate.

I say this from experience. I would never upload media for someone that I wasn't officially involved in their production, and there was a documented command to do so. 

You think I am over-reacting? I can assure you a visit from the FBI is not pleasant.  They will want your phone number.. 

Simon,

If it's running, Audium is an interesting hour or so on a Friday night: http://www.audium.org/

P.S., I scored a used (although you wouldn't know it) Neumann DMI-2 portable from, of all places a Guitar Center store in Colorado. A friend brought it back to the UK for me. I paid £410 including tax and shipping. Very versatile little unit.

Sometimes we looks for ways to fix the machine only to discover that it was machine operator that needed the fixin'.  If you create a new forum for Urgent, will it serve the purpose if people don't remember to check the new forum every day?  If they don't, nothing has changed.  But if people get in the habit of saving a JWS bookmark to the NEW CONTENT page, then no matter where you post your Urgent message... in a new forum or in the wrong forum or wherever... it's likely to get noticed.  NEW CONTENT is the way to go.

In regards to Simon Bishop's request, I did post it on the JWSOUND Facebook page for just the reason you state Richard. Unfortunately, no one responded in time at either place. Oh, well. I agree with the line of thinking that Laurence has put forth which has convinced me that a new section is not needed and would not serve in any way to solve the current issue.

I know that there are other forums doing this, and I would like to see the robust community at jwsoundgroup keep up, and connect with the younger mixers in this way (who by my estimation are apt use such a tool more often for a number of reasons.)

I am back in jwsoundgroup more frequently now that jwsoundgroup is back on Tapatalk. I have my preferences set up to send me notifications based on posts to my favorite-ed threads. I'd be interested to try this with an Urgent thread, it would be like getting a text message when someone needs urgent help.

If other people are doing the same, perhaps we could create a really strong and immediate help network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to ask, Angelo, and with absolutely no malice whatsoever...

Are you really saying. 'from experience', that you uploaded something for a mate that resulted in a visit from the FBI???

Clearly my request was entirely benign, though I have little way of proving that. That said, I would happily have had anyone watch the the 25 min video file (consisting of CU shots of the new Sonosax recorder, hardly racy stuff in any way) before uploading it, should they have wanted to watch it first.

But.... I think my point is somewhat lost. We are a community here, where amongst other things many of us know and 'trust' those known to us, and might help a mate/friend/colleague who asks for help. Heaven forbid that we all become so jaded/suspicious/untrusting that we should forever refuse to help a colleague.

You are, of course, entirely at ease to do as you wish.... but I am sad that you are quite so cynical/safe/concerned.

And now to sleep - a wonderful, welcome, worry free sleep.......

Enjoy the blood moon all....

sb

Maybe in our ever-expanding sound universe it would make sense to post a thread in advance of a trip that would lead to PM's and exchanges of more granular privately-shared info so folks could sign up to be local host/fixers. Discussions like, "Who uses / vends X gear in your 'hood?" could be had. Feels like the 'tape' part of belt, suspenders, rope and tape methodology but...it works, LOL.