Listen Tech LR-400 vs Comtek PR-216

millar

Hey guys, anyone have experience with the listen tech receivers? I use a comtek 216 system and was tossing around the idea of adding some LR-400 receivers to the mix as they appear to be compatible but I have zero experience with them. I am happy with the pr-216 receivers as they are tough and reliable but the Listen Tech gear has a much lower price tag. Thanks

Yes they are compatible (216>216), but do not sound as good in a unmatched configuration. The companders are different, and it's somewhat noisy (hiss) with it switched out.

In a ListenTech>ListenTech set, the LR400 receiver sounds real good, has plenty of volume and feeds both sides of standard HPs. Not as rugged as the Comtek though.. but is priced as such.

I've tried the cheaper alternatives and probably have some of them sitting idle in a forgotten bin somewhere.

While I have better sounding options (Sennheiser IFB, Zaxcom ERX2TCD), I know of nothing that suits their niche better than Comteks.

Rugged.  ...as the director is required to drop theirs and also dangle it by the cord bouncing into things, at least twice a day.  I say "required" as no one could be that consistent without a requirement in place somewhere.

Cost.  ...the right price point for what it does.

Sound.  ...not great, but what's needed, with good range.

Efficient.  ...excellent battery life.

Reliable.  ...It does what it's supposed to do, when it's supposed to do it.

Comtek.

• 3 months later...

I bought a new LR 400 72/216 for $89.00....  I want to test it out just for fun myself...  If it sounds even close, that's not bad... it works on BOTH 72 and 216 Mhz... Cool... I like the Limited Lifetime warranty...  Can't beat that... Funny they are in SLC Utah..... Just like Comtek... Coincidence??   Who knows...

If it works well in the 72Mhz zone... and sounds as good as the normal 72Mhz Comteks (my opinions of those I have voiced here a few times over) What a deal....  I will say again... As long as I am finding them in gutters, bushes and watching them being stepped on by morons... that's what they get... and they will like it... :) 

AFAIK, the Listen Tech LR-400 receivers are either 72 or 216 MHz . Not both (unless I missed something). According to the manual, the LR-400-072 has 57 channels, (72.025 - 75.950 MHz). The LR-400-216 also has 57 channels, (216.025 - 216.975 MHz) . The LR-300 and 500 receivers are similar.

They're relatively common on eBay for around $90 (NOS) and sometimes lower priced used. I think the street price new is (or was) around $160 USD.

Listentech has a new series of receivers that look kind of interesting. LR-4200. I called them up today and asked a few questions.... Smaller and lighter than Comteks (3.75x2x0.64 In.). Dual headphone output (intended as the attachment point for a neck lanyard but both ports will drive headphones simultaneously if that's useful to you). Li-ion rechargeable battery should last 12 hours (spec sheet says 8 hrs but on the phone they said it's closer to 12). Battery is easy to swap and non-proprietary NP60 type. Compatible with Comtek, comes in either 72 or 216 flavors. Paired with the Listentech base station (100mW) they claim 3000 ft range. Couldn't find a price for the 216 MHz version, maybe not available yet, but the 72 MHz one is $150 each. Base station costs $650. Rep on the phone said that they are designed to be more rugged than their previous receiver, partly due to the more compact design. Volume control on front-face buttons. Battery status, volume setting, and transmitter name on front OLED screen. Lifetime warranty if it does get cracked.

I don't really like the dual headphone ports, I'm sure it would create questions... also I'd prefer a volume knob on top but people are so used to looking at the face of their phones for control maybe the buttons on the front would be okay. You have to press and hold the button on top for 5 seconds to turn off. Automatically shuts off if no signal for 6 minutes... but does not automatically come back on, I don't like that.

Still... could be an interesting, slightly more modern, Comtek alternative.  

http://www.listentech.com/assistive-listening/listenrf-216-mhz/

lr_4200_216_iso_right.png

Ive got 4 LR-400's I use in addition to Comteks when I need some unexpected extras.  I find the sound quality to be a little worse than the Comteks in this setup, but good enough for reference and I've never had any complaints or comments about them.  Bought them 2nd hand on Ebay as an experiment really and no complaints so far considering the price. 

I suspect they could if enough people requested it. They have USB ports for software setup. Seems like it would be just a firmware tweak.

Would actually be a nice, battery-saving feature if it powered back up when back in range. 

Philip, you might give listen tech a call and ask about this to confirm. It's an area the guy on the phone didn't seem super sure about and put me on hold to look things up. 

The thing with listen tech is that they are making products for the assistive listening market and are a little oblivious to our needs it seems, or maybe they're just playing it that way.

On January 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Derek H said:

Nick, how do you like your LR-400? I'm assuming you're using them with Comtek transmitters usually. Is there a quality loss compared to a Comtek receiver?

I've used them with an Option7 TX. There's a slight difference in quality, but nothing profound. I usually hand out my comtek first then the listen techs are for extra clients/girlfriends at village.

• 10 months later...

You should try them! I looked into them a bit and had a few emails back and forth with listentech. I can forward them to you if you're interested (send me your email).

Hang ups for me we're the slightly awkward volume control and the battery runtime not lasting a full day (+/- 8 hrs I think).

I agree. They're also so small they might get lost a lot easier. Also a lot cheaper. I don't really like the dual headphone jacks and lack of volume knob on top.

Has anyone compared audio fidelity of Listen Tech to Comtek? When Listen Tech receiver is paired with a LT transmitter you can use their "SQ" mode that has better S/N specs than Comtek.

-DH