Sennheiser 8040, 8050 & MKH50

RPSharman

Does anyone have first hand experience and/or a technical reference like a frequency response chart to determine how closely matched the MKH50 and 8050 are?

I was thinking about adding a third MKH50 to the kit, but thought perhaps it'd make sense to have an 8050 with accessories like a right angle and a colette cable.

Or should I go with the 8040 for a wider pattern for the low clearance applications, and how well will it match up with my MKH50s?

Robert

Does anyone have first hand experience and/or a technical reference like a frequency response chart to determine how closely matched the MKH50 and 8050 are?

I was thinking about adding a third MKH50 to the kit, but thought perhaps it'd make sense to have an 8050 with accessories like a right angle and a colette cable.

Or should I go with the 8040 for a wider pattern for the low clearance applications, and how well will it match up with my MKH50s?

Robert

You should find what you need at: www.sennheiserusa.com find the user manuals for the mics and you can see the response charts. The MKH 50 seems to have a 2db rise from 5k to 10k that the 8050 doesn't have. BTW there doesn't seem to be a swivel offered for the 80xx series yet.

Eric

I have a Sennheiser MKH50 & a 8050 and to my ears, the match up is excellent. If you use the 8050 on a pole with a 90% angled

XLR, the profile is only a smidgen larger than a Schoeps with a GVC. And it's easier to maneuver. The 8050 pattern is some what

forgiving and like I to have more side angle rejection. From what I have read, these mic's are all very close and match up well.

The 8050 is my favorite mic right now.

KKS. 

You should, of course, make several listening tests to evaluate how the different mikes sound to you in circumstances similar to your expected use.

For making frequency response comparisons, you might take your inquiry to our friends at Location Sound Corp. They have a small anechoic chamber for microphone testing and an Audio Precision plotter to graph the results. They are usually pretty accommodating about making this facility available, particularly if you are testing mikes with the intention of purchase. You could bring in a favorite mike or one of known characteristics and test it against other examples.

David Waelder

Robert

At typical boom distances (as not to factor in proximity effect) the 8040, like the 8050, will sonically match the MKH50 almost identically, with the only affective difference being in the extended low freq of the 8000 series, which, in addition to greater wind sensitivity, when combined with it's lower mass, makes them more likely to have rumbling problems from boom pole handling (see suspension recommendations below).

Compared to the 8050, the 8040 is much closer to the endearing pattern that has made the Schoeps MK41 such favorite for interior boom pole use. The 8050 (like the MKH50) is tighter than the MK41, and has a more abrupt transition from on-axis to off-axis.

If getting an 8000 series, be prepared to also get a Rycote Invision #6 mount (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=910&cat=36&page=3), or the Cinela model made for the 8000.

Also, the small foam windscreen that comes with the 8000 series is a nice piece of trim, but not sufficient for even a gentle boom panning move or air-conditioning draft. I am using the Schoeps hollow foam tear drop windscreen (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=353&cat=39&page=3), which manages wind for the mic very well in interiors and for light breeze exteriors. The hole is slightly too large for the 8000 (21mm vs. 19mm), so I use one layer strip of black moleskin around the mic, which makes a perfect fit for the Schoeps screen. The Sennheiser 8040, Rycote Invision mount, and Schoeps hollow foam tear drop are a great combination.

Glen Trew

• 4 weeks later...