Suggestions on Lectrosonics blocks to take to Dubai

LazerBeam Sound

The show I'm on is going to Dubai! We use block 19&21 for cast. Block 25 camera hops and Block 24 for IFB. I have read a lot of people having success with block 21 in Dubai so I'll make that our main block. I would still need six usable freqs from block 19. Is this a bad idea should sub rent another block and pull out my block 19 for this trip. 

what are blocks?

Yes quite, I always have to look up the Lectrosonics chart because very very few seem capable of talking in Mhz for some unfathomable reason? It's American TV blocks, which may be fine if you're in the USA, but it may surprise some, that a few in the rest of the world aren't. :)

Edited by pindrop

Yes quite, I always have to look up the Lectrosonics chart because very very few seem capable of talking in Mhz for some unfathomable reason? It's American TV blocks, which may be fine if you're in the USA, but it may surprise some, that a few in the rest of the world aren't. :)

I believe the the reference is that Rado uses wide band Zaxcom so no real blocks to deal with.   

Yes quite, I always have to look up the Lectrosonics chart because very very few seem capable of talking in Mhz for some unfathomable reason? It's American TV blocks, which may be fine if you're in the USA, but it may surprise some, that a few in the rest of the world aren't. [emoji4]

We use blocks here in Australia too. The American TV blocks. But it may surprise you that Australia is not a state in the US of A... Even though it sometimes feels like we are [emoji6]

Actually, this thread surprises me just a bit.  We do "speak in MHz" - just read the data sheets.  The blocks have NO relation to American television TV channel assignments. They are based on the original 256 Channel capability of the first frequency agile products we came out with that were set with two 16 position switches. That gave us 256 possible frequency combinations spaced 100Mhz apart.  So, each "block" of frequencies was based on that binary startup. 

The dual number blocks (Block XX) could be calculated for their starting XXX.XXX MHz coverage by simply multiplying the block number by 25.6 (the bandwidth in MHz).  Block 21 for example is 25.6MHz X 21 = 537.600 MHz.  Block 22 starts at 563.200 (25.6 Mhz  X 22).  etc etc.  Each block covers 25.6Mhz (unless otherwise defined by the law of the land)

For the block with THREE digits (Block XXX) - these are special blocks - such as 606.000MHz (popular in the UK) or 470 which is the very lowest channel available in the USA.  They indicate the starting frequency right up front.

As we got away from the dual switches and went to the front panel buttons, we could get finer definition and the actual need for block designations was eliminated - except that by then, everyone talked in"Blocks" .  Additionally, we made our units backwards compatible to we kept the binary codes and blocks designators since everyone was used to using them.  So, we elected to keep the block designations for ease of comparison.

The new wide band products cover a wider range and when you read the displays, you readily see both the older binary codes  (00 to FF) for example and the numerical representation as well.  If the frequency lies between the 0.100 MHZ standard gaps from the binary switched products, only the actual freq is displayed.

Data sheets show what each block covers in MHz.

This is for anyone who travel to Dubai for audio work.

I've lived there between 2004-2013. Currently based in New York.

I owned blocks 19-25 and they were pretty much clear. ( No TV Station within that Frequency length )

Comteks are a bit an issue. i'd suggest to use Dipole or Phase right antenna.

It's always a good idea to include your kit list with camera kit. Dubai Airports are usually easy to deal with when you show them a camera along with the rest of the gear. 

Rental :

Atlas Television - http://atlastelevision.com/ - Lectrosonics, Sound Devices, SQN And Sennheiser

Film Quip Media - http://www.filmquipmedia.com/ - Lectro, Sound Devices

Dealers :

N.M.K Electronics - http://www.nmkelectronics.com/ -  Sound Devices, DPA, Shure, Yamaha

VenueTech - http://www.venuetech.ae/ - Sennheiser

Veteran Sound Mixers :

David Therion, Farhad Rahmani, Dave Arnold, Tom Savage ( PM me if you need their contact information )

Grab a beer or two at "Barasti". it's a great bar at the beach with great crowd.

Sam.

Edited by Sam Kashefi