DPA - Slim

Jeff Wexler

One thing I noticed A/B'ing it with the 4063 was its superior rejection of the Vornado fan sound since it was in the 90's the day of the test.

Loved that.

Thanks Rado for letting Whit and me get our hands on it early. Such fun!

Can't wait to get some 

:mellow:

Dunno why this is the only emoticon that works here, but imagine it smiling broadly.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought I had successfully prevented the use of emoticons on this site (I'm not a fan). Guess not. I am the only one who doesn't really like emoticons?

LOLOLOL.

Clearly.

Glad this is the one that survives.

Gave me the chance to describe it in words; as mom early said, "Use your words, dear."

it works fine with Zaxcom in normal environment.

It'll be interesting to see the voltage spec. for it, as using the NON low voltage ie. 5v DPA lavs with Zaxcom transmitters (3v suppy) reputedly increases noise, and decreases maximum SPL, which is why its recommended to use 4063's for Zaxcom TX's which have a minimum of 3v in the DPA spec.

So will it overload when someone is screaming, will it be hissy when the gain is up for someone whispering?

Edited by pindrop

It'll be interesting to see the voltage spec. for it, as using the non low voltage ie. 5v DPA lavs with Zaxcom transmitters (3v suppy) reputedly increases noise, and decreases maximum SPL, which is why its recommended to use 4063's for Zaxcom TX's which have a minimum of 3v in the DPA spec.

So will it overload when someone is screaming, will it be hissy when the gain is up for someone whispering?

I haven't found this (noise floor increase or issues with the max. SPL) to be the case with 4060, 4061, 4080, or 4099 (5v. vers.) DPAs.  Any hiss I've encountered has been from RF issues due to being used with a digital transmitter.  Even a batch of the 4063 (3v. vers.) had those same issues, but DPA quickly addressed them.

Perhaps some unknown reputed internet sources have had different experiences than I.

I haven't found this (noise floor increase or issues with the max. SPL) to be the case with 4060, 4061, 4080, or 4099 (5v. vers.) DPAs.  Any hiss I've encountered has been from RF issues due to being used with a digital transmitter.  Even a batch of the 4063 (3v. vers.) had those same issues, but DPA quickly addressed them.

Perhaps some unknown reputed internet sources have had different experiences than I.

It's re-assuring to hear this. I have also successfully used my 4060's with Zaxcom TRXLA2's but not in extremely quiet or very noisy circumstances, but still have this question mark about why Zaxcom recommend 4063's and DPA released them in the first place, weren't the 4063's released specifically to be compatible with Zaxcom?

My supplier and DPA themselves have mentioned lowered max SPL and increased noise with other DPA's than the 4063.

From the DPA website albeit for phantom power -

Q: What is the minimum supply voltage for a phantom power microphone, and how will the performance of the microphone change with e.g. a 12V power supply? A: The phantom power standard requires 48 volt ± 4 volt. Lower voltages will result in reduced maximum sound pressure level handling ability. Consequently, the dynamic range will also be reduced. In some instances, depending on the electrical circuits, an increased noise floor can also occur.

also

d:screet™ 4063 is acoustically identical to the 4060, but the FET preamp in the input stage is designed for working with the lower supply voltage. Why?

I should really do my own full tests, though max spl is tricky to arrange!

Some discussion on this forum

A few things to remember:

Phantom power and bias voltage are two different things.  

An electret capsule has different biasing needs than a traditional, externally-biased condenser capsule.

Most powering circuits have a voltage range within which they operate.  Typically, the higher the quality of a given device, the more capable it is of handling less than ideal operating parameters.

The max SPL of a DPA 4061 is listed at 144 db.  Even if you shave off a few decibels you're still in "bleeding fom the ears" territory.

So, yes, ideally you should use a 4063 where applicable, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck with the various other DPA models.  In my experience, the most critical thing to watch for is the potential of the digital RF noise issue.

This sounds and looks very interesting! Thanks Rado et al for making DPA do this!

I am curious about this snorkel thing: what is it exactly and how can it not affect the sound in the most horrible way?

Apparently they tried a long version of the tube for theatre and it really did sound like it was in a tube. From what I've been told, this doesn't- it lets more hf in with placements under clothing

Here's what I know about the 4063's + Zaxcom any flavor TRX900XXX: when I cross from well-placed DPA  to Cmit5u it's the best transition I've yet heard from body worn to boom or back. B6/COS-11D are all I've A/B'd with 'em. No, also A/B'd 4071. Also good. No contest.

What I don't like is when the EQ-able 'caps' pull off. Fine. Expendable. Small to track oy.

This is my experience with dpi 4061 on Zaxcom:

I had 23 "older" 4061s made in the beginning of the century. None of them worked with Zaxcom even if properly wired.

Every new  4061 that I used "with microdot adapter" sounds fine with Zaxcom. Even if the noise is increased it is not noticeable in normal environments.

As far s SPL it should not be a big issue.

It's re-assuring to hear this. I have also successfully used my 4060's with Zaxcom TRXLA2's but not in extremely quiet or very noisy circumstances, but still have this question mark about why Zaxcom recommend 4063's and DPA released them in the first place, weren't the 4063's released specifically to be compatible with Zaxcom?

My supplier and DPA themselves have mentioned lowered max SPL and increased noise with other DPA's than the 4063.

From the DPA website albeit for phantom power -

Q: What is the minimum supply voltage for a phantom power microphone, and how will the performance of the microphone change with e.g. a 12V power supply? A: The phantom power standard requires 48 volt ± 4 volt. Lower voltages will result in reduced maximum sound pressure level handling ability. Consequently, the dynamic range will also be reduced. In some instances, depending on the electrical circuits, an increased noise floor can also occur.

also

d:screet™ 4063 is acoustically identical to the 4060, but the FET preamp in the input stage is designed for working with the lower supply voltage. Why?

I should really do my own full tests, though max spl is tricky to arrange!

Some discussion on this forum

There is a lot of mis-information out there, officially and unofficially, regarding the 4063 (lower voltage) vs. other models from DPA. I believe the 4063 was developed to accommodate the lower supply voltage available with Zaxcom transmitters so that is the model we all chose to use. It was clear from ALL discussions with everyone at DPA that the performance of the 4063 was identical to the performance of the 4060 (the 4060, of course, being used with a transmitter other than Zaxcom which supplies the higher voltage, typically 5 volts). As time went on, Zaxcom users experimented with other models from DPA, models which specify a supply voltage of 5 volts. When speaking with representatives from DPA, I have gotten a variety of answers: some have said the mic will work but there is a chance that you will have a higher noise floor and reduced dynamic range is using the microphone at a lower supply voltage. Others have said that the mic will be happy with a range of supply voltage, even down to the 3 volts that Zaxcom transmitters supply --- no penalty with noise floor or dynamic range. Additionally, I don't know of anyone at DPA or anyone independently actually doing any extensive bench testing to come up with some numbers. So, we are left with real world testimonials from our sound community who are actually using these mics and even those opinions are variable and somewhat inconclusive. The quote above regarding phantom power is a different issue altogether. 

How is cable thickness compared to 4071?

I don't have a 4071, but the cable thickness of the Slim looks fairly similar to that of the 4061 (non heavy duty) if that helps.

12105763_681698731122_741855352755169954

Picture (and fingers) looks familiar :-) :-P

now - a concealer for this one... 

For you Vin, I'm sure they'll make something ;-)

Thanks Rado, best photo I've seen that shows the comparative size, looks like the strain relief is probably more robust too, which is a good thing.

After having had both in my hands, I would definitely say that the strain relief by the mic element is more robust on the Slim.

• 3 weeks later...