DPA 4063's going bad

nysounds

I've had two DPA 4063's fail on me on the same talent the last two times out on my current show.  I've never had an issue with these mics before and this guy doesn't sweat.  My only thought is that because he insists on having the transmitter in his back pocket instead of mounted on his belt he is sitting on the connection and tweaking it.  I can't be sure until I get them both checked out but on visual inspection all seems good and nothing looks broken in the connector (3 pin lemo for Zaxcom).  Anybody else experience this with these mics?  It's not interference.  It definitely is a problem with the mic.  Both times I swapped out for a different mic and was good for the rest of the day.

Hey Brian,

I can't speak to your experience, but I haven't had any issues with my 4063s outside of losing two of the grills / caps on them. That said, DPA has excellent customer and warranty service, and they fixed them for me at no charge; I only had to pay for shipping. I'm sure they can help you out if you give them a call / send them an email.

Cheers,
José

My DPA 4060s has been through hell and back - still going strong.

I think you have already identified the cause of the problem, getting the connections squashed in the back pocket of the talent. Think about the force generated when he sits on the connection (with momentum).

Personally I get quite itchy when people try to put my transmitters in their pockets. :-O

Informing them of the cost of the lav and transmitter usually makes them listen to my instructions. But then, there are always a-holes. Grrrr....

Cheers

Fred