Sennheiser MZG 8000 Swivel Joint. Any good?

jawharp

Hey Guys,

Trying to find some info on the Sennheiser MZG 8000 swivel module for the 8xxx series of microphones.

Anyone have/used one before?  I've been looking for a Schoeps gvc/41 replacement for a while and was thinking the 8050 with this swivel might be a good option.  I was mainly wondering about it's range of swivel compared to a GVC, as well as the overall reliability of the 8xxx series.

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Guys,

Trying to find some info on the Sennheiser MZG 8000 swivel module for the 8xxx series of microphones.

Anyone have/used one before?  I've been looking for a Schoeps gvc/41 replacement for a while and was thinking the 8050 with this swivel might be a good option.  I was mainly wondering about it's range of swivel compared to a GVC, as well as the overall reliability of the 8xxx series.

Thanks,

Joe

I've got a couple but have only had them for a couple of weeks (arrived just *after* the low loader day...)

They work- will swivel to maybe a bit more than 90degrees. Possibly not quite as far as the schoeps. I don't think there's any mechanical issues with the 8000 series but they did change the PCB design earlier this year to get around the grounding/noise issue

I have a couple 8050s and use to own 3 8060's. My understanding was the 8060 was the only mic with the grounding issue. I ran into it with all 3 8060s, but neither 8050. One 8050 is old (with dark band), one is newer (with gold band).

I've had the swivel joint for quite a while. No issues.

J

I have a couple 8050s and use to own 3 8060's. My understanding was the 8060 was the only mic with the grounding issue. I ran into it with all 3 8060s, but neither 8050. One 8050 is old (with dark band), one is newer (with gold band)

no, I had the problem with a couple of 8020 Omnis, I know several others who did too, with 8020s and 8040s - so probably random mics across the whole range were affected.