fusion

Tony Johnson

Hi All ,

Having just registered this is my first post . I know the fusion has been discussed on this forum before so forgive if i cover old ground .

I have a movie coming up and the fusion just may be the right tool for the job .

My current set up is - cart based DV 824 , pd6 for overshoulder , sonosax st8d mixer , audio rack and lectro 411s etc .

The fusion appeals because of the weight , power consumption , flexibility etc and this movie will have both cart work and overshoulder work .

Questions - Is the screen readable in sunlight . Does the track naming on the meters appear on the track name in the avid . If for some reason you need to use the cf card in MARF format how do you go about getting that into the avid ( does the avid read MARF) . Are the rotary input faders easy to use ie mix multiple mics , is the space between them enough for finger operation . How is the reliability of the fusion , any lost files , do you close a session after you have wrapped for the day , what is the process for that . Do users out there like the CF card way , i like the idea of getting away from rotary hardrives and ram disks .

One last thing . Do you think the fusion is more suited to eng work rather than movies . Its just that they seem to advertise it as such but i can;t see the difference between the fusion and the regular deva - apart from the obvious like track numbers and the like . Am i missing something?

I look forward to feedback .

I will be using this in New Zealand and Zaxcom is not represented here so hence the caution .

regards

Tony Johnson CAS

I can reply to some of your concerns even though I do not own a Fusion there are many similarities to other Devas.

"Questions - Is the screen readable in sunlight"

I have found that the Deva touchscreen is not so good in direct sunlight. There is a high contrast setting for the screen which helps as bit but using the screen with bright direct sunlight can be a problem.

"Does the track naming on the meters appear on the track name in the avid"

No, not directly. The track name data is in the metadata not the filename --- if the Avid is set up properly and the files are imported preserving the metadata, the track name info will be available. Someone who knows a lot more about Avid can give you a better answer on this.

"If for some reason you need to use the cf card in MARF format how do you go about getting that into the avid ( does the avid read MARF)"

I don't know why you would deliver MARF files to anyone else. The MARF format is used by Zaxcom for the primary recording (either to the hard drive or the primary CF card) and is not easily accessible by any other machine.

"Are the rotary input faders easy to use ie mix multiple mics , is the space between them enough for finger operation"

It can be done --- knobs are quite small and spacing is adequate.

"How is the reliability of the fusion , any lost files , do you close a session after you have wrapped for the day , what is the process for that"

The Deva method of recording (and this is partially a function of the proprietary MARF format) is about as fault tolerant and reliable as any piece of machinery/software can be. I am not sure what you mean by "closing a session."  I don't think anybody has ever "lost" and files or recordings. There have been glitches in transferring files and there have been some directory issues on other machines losing files, but the Deva has never failed to make as good recording, a good file.

"Do users out there like the CF card way , i like the idea of getting away from rotary hardrives and ram disks"

I think everyone likes the idea of solid state memory but not everyone, by any means, is up to steam on utilizing CF as a deliverable --- your success in this area is really a function of your daily post process --- you may like using CF but if your post/editorial setup wants a DVD ram disk you will have to get an outboard optical drive for your Fusion and burn disks for deliverable.

"One last thing . Do you think the fusion is more suited to eng work rather than movies . Its just that they seem to advertise it as such but i can;t see the difference between the fusion and the regular deva - apart from the obvious like track numbers and the like "

The Fusion is essentially identical to the other Devas but lacks the hard drive and the optional built-in optical disk drive. The reason that the Fusion seems to target the ENG ("bag work") type projects over use of the full Deva 5.8, is the use of the solid state memory (CF), lower power consumption and lighter weight. Of course, any Deva is a good choice for any kind of work you want to do --- the Fusion is not crippled in any way compared to the other models.

I hope this helps. Others will chime in I'm sure.

-  Jeff Wexler

Thanks for the swift reply Jeff ,

What I was meaning about the MARF cf card was that if anything happened to the fat32 cf card on the way to post then i would send in the MARF cf card , but on thinking further i guess i would transfer from MARF cf card to another FAT32 cf card in the Fusion if something happened to the original . Is this correct .

I see what you mean about the track naming . It would be great if i could get it to go through to post especially in dial edit stage as it is very handy . I am sure it can be done if it is in the metadata .

Fine about cf cards and post . That is all good down here as Sound Devises are very popular and all syncing is done in avid here so no problem getting cf files into avid .

Thanks again , i look forward to more posts .

Hey Jeff , another thing . I know you own Audio radio mics and have recently bought zax TRX900s . I run 2040s and love the sound of them but i am finding the lack of remote for on/off and level change plus size are becoming an issue . I also own a couple of Lectro hybrids which i also like . What would you do . Upgrade the audios to the 2040 range , buy more lectros or buy zax trx900s . I am at the stage where i need to head in ONE direction .

thanks

Tony

Regarding the wireless, I do have Audio, Ltd. wireless (very old 2000 model) which I have used for years and years. They are NOT frequency agile at all and in today's world that just does not work. I had the full quad box re-crystalled 3 times during its useful life which is sadly now over --- I have not used the Audio, Ltd. for over a year or so, too many frequency issues. I now use the Zaxcom TRX900 wireless and they have worked very well for me. I don't even do any of the more tricky stuff that is provided by Zaxcom --- I have never used the recording feature, I don't own the IFB/remote so I don't even do any of that remote stuff, and I don't even do wireless boom work that often (or so-called "camera hops" either). The Zaxcoms have been a great replacement for the Audios. I don't know what the advice should be at this point: all of the Lectro stuff is very good (I hear from others but I don't have any Lectro wireless) and as I said, the Zaxcom units are terrific. I did look into the new Audio, Ltd. lineup but for me there are just too many issues getting back into dealing with a British product with little support here in the U.S.

-  JW

I don't know what the advice should be at this point:

We're lucky that we have three pretty solid options to choose from.  I think it basically breaks down to Zaxcom winning on features, Lectro winning on reliability and sturdiness, and Audio Ltd. winning on microphone preamp quality.  I think all of them are pretty similar in terms of range, given a clear channel -- the Audios (even the new ones) definitely have a minus in the frequency agility category though.  Depends upon your priorities, I suppose...

Jeff,

You don't know what you are missing!  You're 99% of the way there.  While the Zaxcom radios are worth it for me for their audio quality, frequency agility and lack of IM problems when selecting frequencies, the additional features make them absolutely stunning.  The record feature is pretty much automatic so you don't have to pay any attention to it, but on the rare occasions when you need it, it's a life saver (well... not really, but as close as you get on a film set;-)  Also, the ifb control allwoing you to adjust gain from the sound cart comes in very handy.  After all, setting transmitter gain is at best an educated guess.  The IFB lets you make adjustments from the cart when you guess wrong. 

And Noah, I disagree somewhat on your radio assessment.  Personally, I think Zaxcom wins on pretty much all accounts.  My Audio Ltds were always excellent sounding analog radios (yes, with great pre-amps), but I still run a few of them along with the Zaxcoms and there is no comparison.  I still have 8 of the Audio Ltds, but I only use 2 of them regularly with the Schoeps HX 'stick' transmitter.  Even with a Schoeps at the end they don't approach a similarly configured Zaxcom for clarity, low noise, and lack of ANY artifacts.  The Lectros do have great engineering.  They probably have the best package in the business, but the TRX900's come very close physically.  As you said, range among all three is similar (I usually find my Zaxcoms have better range than my Audio Ltds but part of that might be the fequency agility that allows me to find and use better frequencies).

Best,

Billy

i am using the 2040's with the new mini tx and have found them to be great.  The 2040s are frequency agile 32 channels in each block.  I have found the mini tx to have equal signal range to the regular size 2040 tx in all the tests i have performed.  I am on my third feature with the mini txs and i really like them.  I am interested in the zax wireless, but here in Vancouver i don't know of anyone who has them and so have never had a chance to check them out.  I personally think the only weakness of the audios is that you can only change the settings on the transmitters with a fob.  no manual switches.  that being said the reason for this is to make the units more water 'proof'. and i did have one tx get completely submerged along with the sankin cos 11, when an actor who was fly fishing in a lake, tripped while running away from a dragon, and both tx and mic emerged in perfect working order.

Graham Timmer

Hi Tony,

I'll address some of the questions in your original post.  I have used the Fusion many days outdoors over the shoulder and have had no problem reading the screen in direct sunlight.  I find a brimmed hat and no sunglasses works best.  I haven't yet made a Hoodman-type shade for it and have still had no difficulty.  Polarized sunglasses will black it out, but unpolarized will work okay, especially if you build a shade of some sort.  I also found it essential to keep a high quality 1" paintbrush handy in dusty evironments to brush it off.  I do think it would be nice for the Deva/Fusion to have a dimmable screen that could go slightly brighter and a lot dimmer.  I find it distractingly bright in dark environments.

The space between the input knobs is fine and they are knurled for a good grip, but they are still rotary pots and I wouldn't want to mix a lot of mics with them.  But they are no worse than other rotary pots, IMO.

I agree that it is just advertising on Zaxcom's part to market the Fusion as their ENG machine.  I guess they want to drive cart-based mixers to the more expensive machines, but the Fusion was a better choice for me.  The differences are pretty straightforward and many prefer the integrated DVD-RAM burner and hard drive.  I do not.  Personal preference.

No lost files for me.  No CF failures either.  I prefer to use better, SLC cards for the MARF drive and save the cheaper ones for the mirror drive, but I have no evidence that this is necessary.

I hope this helps.

PG

Well thanks chaps ,

It has answered most of my questions . Paul how is scene and take entry and is it easy to change when you need to and does it change it on both drives .

I concur Paul re CF over HD and disk . I already have 2 machines with Hardrive and RAM and like the idea of something so light and power efficient .

Thanks again .

On the radio front we are having the same issues over here as you guys there with the RF spectrum being sold off and no allocation for us which makes it so risky buying new RF systems now .

Billy the Australian agent for ZAX has informed me that the TRX900s do not like Sanken cos11s . That does not sound right to me as we have discussed before . Is it a wiring issue .

cheers

Tony

Billy the Australian agent for ZAX has informed me that the TRX900s do not like Sanken cos11s . That does not sound right to me as we have discussed before . Is it a wiring issue .

cheers

Tony

This WAS true for a long time --- Sanken COS-11 did not work well with Zaxcom transmitters. After much prodding and many, many months, Sanken has made changes to their microphone design which has, I am told, completely eliminated the RF problems that were so apparent when used with Zaxcom transmitters. So, I believe the problem is solved, and it was not solely a wiring problem by any means, but I am sure would require the purchase of new microphones (you could not simply re-wire an older COS-11 and have assurance it would work properly).

-  Jeff Wexler

I regularly use Sankens with my Zaxcoms.  Some are very susceptible to rfi and some are not.  I retired my noisy ones.  While I mostly use Countryman B6 mics, I still use my Sankens in certain circumstances.  As Jeff mentioned, Sanken has come up with an improvment to their design that eliminates AM rfi.  I haven't tried them yet and I'm not even sure they are out.

Best,

Billy

Paul how is scene and take entry and is it easy to change when you need to and does it change it on both drives .

I have used all of the machines and I like the STN entry on Deva/Fusion the best BY FAR.  Again, personal preference, but I think even many Zaxcom detractors would agree that the interface is excellent.  Quick, intuitive, and NO SCROLLING.  The touchscreen is part of why people love their iphones so much, after all, and it makes it easy to add new functionality without clutter. 

I generally mirror after I'm sure the metadata is correct.  If you change it after mirroring you can easily re-mirror that file.  The continuous mirroring is handy for documentary/unscripted projects where I am not usually using the STN anyway, just file name and track names.  That way there is no waiting to mirror after long takes.

PG

I generally mirror after I'm sure the metadata is correct. 

Hey Paul,

Don't wait too long to mirror!  Hard Drives do die.  You'd hate to lose a critical scene because you were waiting to get the notes right.  Might as well mirror continuously and re-mirror if you make metadata corrections.

Best,

Billy

And Noah, I disagree somewhat on your radio assessment.  Personally, I think Zaxcom wins on pretty much all accounts.  My Audio Ltds were always excellent sounding analog radios (yes, with great pre-amps), but I still run a few of them along with the Zaxcoms and there is no comparison.

Well, we've had this conversation on RAMPS plenty of times over the years, so there's no need to drag through all of it again...a quick rehash was just that I did several A/B tests a few years ago, recording an Audio Ltd. on track one and a Zaxcom on track two.  I flipped back and forth when I played the recordings back and was personally hard pressed to tell the difference.  They both sounded exactly the same and both crapped out in exactly the same distance.  The Audios definitely can get noisy and annoying if there is something else on the frequency competing with the transmitter's signal -- and I've heard from several folks that the Zaxcoms aren't immune to trouble either (although different kinds of trouble perhaps).  Pros and cons.