Deva 5.8 White Out

Steve Nelson, CAS

Sorry to bother about a discontinued legacy product, but the Deva 5.8 is arguably the best thing Zaxcom has given us. Having said that, I'm using it right now to re-mirror some material for Post. I'd been rewriting to CF and dumping those onto the HD but this time I thought I'd try something else and write directly to an external HD. Rebooted and redirected it to write via Firewire (another legacy!), I thought I heard a little "click" and the now screen is nothing but white. After several restarts white it remains. Black screens I've had, this is different.

Any ideas on what is the problem or a remedy? 

Thanks!

I wonder if the external drive perhaps exceeded the Deva's firewire current capacity.   What external drive did you use? 

What do you see now as you boot up?  Anything other than white?  Will it still play, and/or record, audio?  Do the buttons light up?  As near as you can tell, does the CF slot still work?  Tell us more... tell us more...

NOTE:  The Deva IV, V, 5.8, & 16 may technically be considered "legacy," but some people would be surprised at the amount of audio that you hear on a regular basis in theaters, on TV, on radio, online, etc. that continues to be recorded on these venerable machines.  They may be discontinued, but they're far from obsolete.

It could be the battery (coin-cell) backed ram lost its memory and it forgot what kind of screen it has.  If you hold the 4 key for about 20 seconds while booting it will toggle the screen mode between the two display types.

-howy

Hope this worked for you Steve. 

As for legacy, I think the Deva's are solidly in this category as well as the Fusion. Zaxcom no longer makes them,  and has no drives for the Deva because they are no longer used in the world. My internal drive on my Deva 4 went down this week. I used my old drive and got it working again without much loss of production time because I had my bag system with me ready to go and used it. I am now in the process of getting the CF card option for the Deva 4 but it has some limitations I'm told. I doubt I'd ever sell my Deva 4, but it won't be my cart recorder going forward. It's been a good run and it served me very well.

CrewC

I don't remember but I'm guessing it's how you said it, not what you said Dr Reflecto. Whatever the case if I offended you I apologize. 

Moving on for me has more to do with the work flow I am now encountering more than the machine itself. I'm sure the Deva 4 would last until I retire, but what I really need is more tracks and I am in the process of making that decision. 

CrewC

Hope this worked for you Steve. 

As for legacy, I think the Deva's are solidly in this category as well as the Fusion. Zaxcom no longer makes them,  and has no drives for the Deva because they are no longer used in the world. My internal drive on my Deva 4 went down this week. I used my old drive and got it working again without much loss of production time because I had my bag system with me ready to go and used it. I am now in the process of getting the CF card option for the Deva 4 but it has some limitations I'm told. I doubt I'd ever sell my Deva 4, but it won't be my cart recorder going forward. It's been a good run and it served me very well.

CrewC

I've been using a CF card as the main drive in my Deva V for a long time now.  The only real limitation I'm aware of is using the right $13 CF adapter.

Ironically it is the continuos mirroring of an ext card burner/reader that I'm told can slow down with the CF card in the main drive as compared to the original spinning drives. Not much of an issue really. My 4 would most likely be fine if my work flow stayed the way it was 3 - 5 years ago. These days 5 & 6 radios a day seems the norm. I feel I need more Rfs and tracks as I shoot for the finish line. The good news is I have choices. 

CrewC

BTW, legacy doesn't mean obsolete to me.

I typically engage continuous mirroring while I'm recording and have not experienced the issue you mentioned -- even with high track counts.

Below is a link to a previous thread in which I went into more detail. 

BTW:  I strongly recommend the Syba adapter.  Since the previous thread was written -- in testing I observed a bit of wonkyness with a different adapter, but the Syba model has been rock solid for me.  It also has the advantage of maintaining the hard drive form factor.

The IDE to CF adapter brand is Syba.  The model number should be:  ADA45006.

If it's installed in a standard Deva carrier, the side you install a CF card in (CF1 MASTER) will be face down.  If it's installed in a Remote Audio Drive Mounter system, CF1 MASTER will be face up (making a card swap easier). 

I've never even tried using cards on both sides, as I like simple, straight forward, and dependable.  I don't want the data to be spanned.

The Remote Audio system is comprised of:

Circuit Board Assembly - $94.99

Bracket - $79.99

Door - $ 44.99

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Recording-Accessories.html

The Compact Flash cards I use are Transcend 64GB 400X:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Compact-Flash-Memory-TS64GCF400/dp/B002WE0QN8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443913684&sr=1-8&keywords=transcend+compact+flash

Let us know how it works out for you.

BTW, for anyone who still wants to go that route, IDE laptop hard drives (what a Deva uses if its owner hasn't ventured into CF land) are still made and sold and are readily available.  They're often typically $40 - $70.  Newegg / Amazon / Etc.

I think Zaxcom mostly used Hitachi drives, which are still sold -- rumors of their death are greatly exaggerated.

Of course, I prefer the CF route.  I can quickly pull my main drive from the cart's Deva and pop it into a Nomad to continue recording with a more portable rig. -- Ye! hah! (exuberance)

I think 80 gig is the max on the Deva but that could be wrong. It does have a size limit though.

I'll always keep and use the Deva on some level. The new system is about track count and more radios than the 6 in my venue. I'll certainly post my decision when I make up my mind.

CrewC