Cinella/Rycote handling noise

chrisyking

Hi. Has anyone done a test of the handling noise of the Piano vs Cyclone. If you hit the boom pole, which transmits the least noise to the mic? Are there any youtubes anywhere? Can't find any. I've seen one showing wind noise, but not handling noise..... I currently have a traditional Rycote basket and it's awful. EDIT: It's not awful!!. Just bad enough for me to want to buy a better basket.

Thanks fellas.

Chris

Edited by chrisyking

I use Rycote WS4 and WS2. Haven't had any real issues. Check you have them set up properly, check you have some roll off in place, and check your technique. 

Thousands of professionals using gear that's been an industry standard for longer than some people on this group have been alive, wouldn't be still using it if it's "awful".

Sorry, bad use of words, not awful, I must be more careful, sorry. I just mean that I'm sure the new cyclone and piano have a better design now. I definitely get shock passing to my basket if I hit the boom pole. The mic is sitting on elastics, which do remove some of the impact noise, but not all of it.

Obviously I'm careful not to hit the pole, but in media scrums or when running, that's not always possible.

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLw0Ny5vhY

The mount looks infinitely better design wise as far as handling noise, but I can't find any tests....

Edited by chrisyking

Both the Cyclone and Piano seem to have the basket isolated from the pole, so if you bash the basket on a ceiling or whatever it doesn't transfer to the mic mount. Not the case with my current basket. Also on both the mic mount looks like a much better design than just sitting on rubber bands. The question is, which is better? Anyone done a comparison? Is there anywhere in Central London I can go and test them both?

Stop hitting your mics on the ceiling!  I'm pretty sure nothing would isolate that.  Richmond film services are the most likely to have both, also Everything Audio may too (neither are central, but no sound rental companies are).  Both mounts were around at Sound Pro the other week too.  As with all these mounts their performance will be dependent on having them set up correctly with the right suspensions for the microphone- 'better' may be how you've got the mount and pole set up, rather than just swapping the suspension out.  Again, higher order low cut filter can really help- something like a schoeps cut 60 (if using them) or a rycote tac!t can really make a difference

Sorry fellas I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the rycote basket I have at the moment. As you said they are the industry standard. I've been using it for years, it's just I want to work with the best gear out there and looking at the new designs by Rycote and Cinella they look like they are better isolated, and have better wind resistance..... didn't mean to offend anyone.... feel like I farted at a party !!,,,,,, seems like the piano is also super light too!!!

I'll pop into Everything Audio. They're not too far from me.... thanks anyway.....

Edited by chrisyking

Yes thanks I saw that one. There are a few ones on wind noise, but none on the handling noise.... think I'll have to go try them out....

Have to say this one is a bit unfair. They are comparing the cyclone with no fur with the piano with fur...

Edited by chrisyking

Well it depends what type of stuff you do. If you do sports stuff where there is a media scrum, your pole can get hit by camera guys, or if you're doing walking shots where you have to go through doors it can be possible to knock the basket. I remember once following the Foo Fighters from a dressing room to the stage. I had to boom as they were going to do a gig and I wouldn't have been able to get my radio mics back. Had to walk through all sorts of doors etc. I managed not to hit anything, but it was touch and go..... there was a camera topmic, but they talked to all sorts of people on the way.

I know for you glamorous film guys it's usually a bit more organised but for us lowly ENG type chaps it can get a bit 'Kick boll&cks scramble'...!!...;)

No gear surpasses skill.

+1

Have to say this one is a bit unfair. They are comparing the cyclone with no fur with the piano with fur...

I agree that they should've also tested the Cyclone with fur to compare it with the Piano with fur, but the first of the test is both baskets without any fur, and I think it's very telling.

As John mentioned above, the best remedy for handling noise is skill. A great boom operator will get the cleanest sound with a mic taped to a broom, whereas a bad boom operator will create noise even with the best instruments.

And remember it isn't just the brand of kit you use as both Cinela and Rycote are premium products. The set-up of your suspension is vital if it to work at its best. With both Rycote and Cinella there are different stiffness of suspension available which have to be matched to the mass of the mic. Don't expect a 416 to need the same suspension as DPA4017. And when you get the right suspension components, is your header cable to the mic light and flexible? The old twin core Sanken Cos-11 cable works well for me. And are you rolling off the bottom end sufficiently? I am a big fan of the Rycote Tac!t between the mic and the mic pre-amp. Makes all the difference. Small tweeks can make a big difference. Yes you can chuck your old system out and buy a new one but will the new one be better because it is a superior product or because it is better set up?

Tim

Well, quite frankly my old Rycote has been a good workhorse, but it's got a bit moth eared and is a bit embarrassing to be seen out with!! I'm looking for a newer fitter model!! To me it makes sense to buy the best. That's why I want to know what the best is!!! I'm not saying the old rycote doesn't work, but I'm imagining the newer models (Cyclone/Piano) have better characteristics!!! Tim are you saying that a well set up old style Rycote is better than a new Cinella Piano? Are there tests? I'll be interested if there are... makes you wonder why they bothered making the new ones then!!

PS. 'No gear surpasses skill' Are you seriously saying you chaps have NEVER in the entire history of your careers hit your boom pole on anything?.... Ever? Really?.....;) I must be very clumsy.....;)

cinela + loon boom + TRX742 + no cable = happy

same here. Pianissimo Loon 742 + backup recording.  Awesome setup.  I have the piano with cmit as well   I have the rycote with 416  

The cinela stuff appears bigger  but is a little lighter.   Handling noise is great.  Better than rycote?   Would be close  

Thing that annoys me with cinela is the angle adjust tightener is either tight or not tight. The rycote is much better. U can leave it tight. Hand adjust it by re angling the basket.  The cinela needs to be loosened by hand basket adjusted then locked.  Try that 3 or 4 times getting ur angle correct. And quick. Wish they would do something similar to rycote. 

Edited by Prahlad Strickland