Buying used mkh50, what to beware off?

JRL

Hi all,

I've looking at a used mkh50 that I don't know the history of. I'm still very new to location sound so don't know too much about the version history of these mics. Apart from listening to it and seeing the general cosmetic condition, is there anything I should be aware off. Do older versions  lose any of their tone over time, or do they have RF issues? If I have the serial number can I check it's age anywhere? I've had a search online but as of yet haven't found anywhere.

Any advice appreciated.

I'll buy used equipment now and again but the one piece of equipment that I'll never buy used is a mic (unless I now the previous owner very, very well).  Used mics are not marked off enough to take a gamble. You don't know the history and care that it had and mics, unless they're of the sm58 variety, are fragle.

My .02 worth. 

Edited by Mirror
punctuation

There are professional sound dealers -- Location Sound in Burbank is a good example -- where they have a facility to test microphones to determine if they're flat, if they're noisy, or if they're otherwise performing to spec. Sennheiser can also do this, but that would take a lot more time and most likely cost more money. 

Have it checked.

I've bought lots of vintage Neumann's, AKG's etc for my studio over the years.theres always a risk,have somebody look at it.

Personally me w/ a 50 I'd likely buy new. They're not that expensive to start with.

HC

Edited by roundbadge

Best indicator for the 50 is whether it has gold or nickel XLR pins. If they're gold, the mic was built after they dramatically improved RF rejection with a new chassis... OR it was an old mic with RF kit upgrade. Less good, but still an improvement. 

All three of my 50s were bought used. The last was was essentially brand new. The others were from a studio, so in very good condition, but quite old. They still sound beautiful. All of them. And still match each other. 

that's weird. Is that just the 50 or all mics? I recently asked Neumann about a U47 from 40 years ago, they could tell me everything about it - of course they didn't, but could've

AFAIK it's only the MKH 50 as I had called Sennheiser about mine and that was 5 or so years ago and that was the answer they gave me.

Thanks for all of the above comments, all very helpful. It'll allow me to make a much more informed decision on the purchase and what I should possibly pay for it. The issue for me is it's been owned by a company, hence it may not have been as lovely cared for over the years as I'd expect an individual owner to have.

Again, thanks all.