RED Weapon - Sound and fan noise

Hello,

Just to announce that the first indication on Weapon fans are a big improovement over the Epic's one. I would push production to go with the Weapon if you have this choice. The fan noise seems less a problem now.

Here a encouraging Weapon user statement:

I'll just chime in and say yes, the Weapon fan is way way way quieter! I'm shooting behind-the-scenes now on-set, so staying quiet at all times is essential for me. It's a staggering improvement. Your sound guys will love it!

Pat

Edited by Patrick Tresch

According to the manual, there are no ports on the brain itself apart from EVF/LCD. The audio ports are located on the various available port expanders. The Base Expander has dual 3.5 mini jacks, while the Redvolt Expander has dual XLRs.

Here is a link to the manual. See pp. 162-3 for diagrams.

As stated by Sarcanon, the audio capabilities will depend on the modules, but for the DSMC2 expander there will be more options as it has a changeable audio module.

The DSMC2 REDVOLT Expander offers a modular audio system that you can remove and replace with upcoming audio modules. The default audio module offers two (2) female XLR audio connections. Each XLR input features a 3-position selector switch to designate the incoming audio signal type: Balanced Line Level, Balanced Mic Level, and Balanced Mic with +48V phantom power. Additionally, a 3.5mm line-level headphone jack lets you sample audio during takes and in playback mode.

Edited by Patrick Tresch

Because some put it in a bag and keep saying it's possible to have it in a mobile shoot. Then after 2 hours the red flag gets rised. I wonder why those guys still shoot Cantar on their back? In a studio configuration I would understand. Cantar is like Masterprimes, on a shoot they make (some) DOP think they are a star.

It's probably not due to the machine (poor beast) but due to some arrogant user.

Rant over. ;-)

Pat

Edited by Patrick Tresch