Lectro SNA600 dipoles in use

Fritz

Does anyone here have some experience with this in conjunction with a PSC SMA?

Was just in a follow car with SMQV/411 and not getting more than perhaps 50' at best.

Wonder if 2 and an SMA would improve gain significantly, if I could rig the antennas on the follow roof with the SMA on the bag harness?

Or is there a better method?

Yes SNA600's are great for me, can be tuned, can be folded, are quite rugged, improve range significantly over whips, are very reasonably priced, excellent product as far as I am concerned. I use them with a Micplexer. If you mean PSC Multi SMA, I don't think it's designed to improve range, it's designed for distribution isn't it?

Whether they're suitable for your vehicle scenario, I can't say, I might be inclined to use something more directional (LPDA, yagi) unless the front back relationship of the vehicles was likely to get reversed, plus location of TX antenna can make a huge difference and can be extended away from the TX, or the whole TX simply raised as high as possible. A TX buried too much within a metal box is always going to be a challenge for range. As you probably know local RF contention can have a huge detrimental effect on range.

Edited by pindrop

The SNA dipoles will definitely be an improvement over basic whips.  Although, where they're positioned will make as much or more of a difference than the antenna change (remember, in a car you're inside a big metal enclosure).

I did a chase car thing recently with bicycle riders. I have floppy dipoles that I positioned over the visors -- they made a huge difference.

the SMA just distro.  In this case, 2 mics, I was thinking to distro the antennas to the 2 receivers. 

But the Micplexer does more I see.  Would it work with Lectros or only Zax?

I could probably rig the antennas to the active windows or perhaps even on a carbon fiber mast rigged to the roof, though I suspect there would still be interaction from the ground plane.

I was thinking a yagi.  I would control the location of the vehicle if they wanted good sound.  One can only assume they would.  heh, heh, heh.

But the SNA is more practical, as long as I can figure rigging.  Were the floppy dipoles DIY or off the shelf?

This last time, I used 2 sets of receivers.  One in the active car and one in the follow.  Did the job for recording, but producers wanted  to hear more than they could.

Hi Fritz,

I use a pair of SNAs with PSC Multi and Zaxcom QRX every day. I have Lectro PFL25 filters in front of the PSC to avoid overloading the wideband front end filter of the QRX, as recommended by Zaxcom. I have to say I am very happy with this rig.

The SNAs are mounted onto lightweight selfie sticks at the front of the bag. The ability to raise them (even just by 50 cm) sometimes is all I need to stay in range. I guess it also helps to get the RX antennas away from your hops TX as well.

I have used SNA rigged to car windows to send one channel of mixed-down monitoring to directors and myself and left the actual recording up to the built-in recorders in the Zax TXs. That worked OK but no mixing capabilities. 

That DIY dipole looks like it would be great to run along a harness strap or up your back to your shoulders. Has anyone tried that ?

I remember they was a thread going a little while ago where people were trying to rig SNA to their harness but it looked really cumbersome.

yes, people use that, and yes it works nice. easy to make and worth the small time and money investment.

see here : http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/22303-my-homemade-coax-dipole-antenna/

Edited by resonate
added link for DIY coax antenna build

When in need of more range coax antenna on the transmitter does miracles. especially in car setups. I have had luck with just using extension cable and a regular whip antenna on the end.

As far as sn600 - unless I am using sharkfins, dipoles on the harness is my normal setup. It makes a huge difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna#Impedance_of_dipoles_of_various_lengths

Look at the diagrams next to 1.1 - Dipole Characteristics

The only question I have is:

Since the shield runs back down the cable inside the sleeve anyway, could we not just cut it off entirely above where we stripped the cable ?

Or maybe there needs to be a physical separation to produce the oscillating currents. Who knows ? (many educated people probably do, just not me)

Edited by David Marien

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone recommend a particular selfie stick that seems to work best for bag mount? i am overwhelmed by the options out there. i see too that there are several sizes and telescopic lengths etc. dont want to buy too big unnecessarily. or too cheap. Plan to attach to outside aluminum ring on an orca bag.

-Ken