Leather Creaks and Squeaks

Hugh Palmer

Way back this was discussed on JW Sound and I copied this text.

"There is a kind of lanolin cream made for leather that is absorbed quickly to make it supple without looking too moist, but the real trick is to have a good relationship with the wardrobe people and push for real cabretta lambskin on hero garments. A soft beautiful strong leather that has minimal squeak. Not cheap."

My other cryptic note was "Utter Butter" - if the costume department lets you use it. 

I think the best way to deal with noisy leather wardrobe is ahead of time.  Cheap leather jackets can be really creaky (I think that is part of the appeal, actually) and of course are nearly opaque to mics hidden under them.   They are a really  good reason to friendly up with your wardrobe folks.  On docs we just have to figure on getting the mic outside the jacket somehow, often not pretty.

p

For chairs I try to stick some scraps of duvetyne or whatever I can find between the cushions rubbing together to minimize squeaks. I've had bad experiences with the set dressers after rubbing any kind of creams or pastes on leather or vinyl furniture that ended up leaving a residue but that's another topic..jackets I ask wardrobe for help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk