BBC interview set up

Omar Milano

I recently worked on an episode of Panorama for the BBC, and I learned that last week's episode covered the first and only British interview with Ed Snowden in Moscow. The interesting boom stands/arms/hardware caught my attention, so here's a screen capture. Discuss...

Here's the episode if you wish to watch it.

BBC Panorama.jpg

Edited by Omar Milano

Yep Phillip...my life is sit down interview, and the CS3e works well.  The fan, well its Moscow!  

I once did a sit down with Mike Wallace for 60 MIN, in a very small, stuffy, hot office in Mexico City....a window unit AC was hung in the wall, high up near the ceiling.  I looked at it, walked over to find the off switch, and Mike says, "you're not turning that OFF are you Cleve?" 

No Mr. Wallace, just checking the thermostat!!!!

Sometimes you gotta give!!!!!!

I looked at it, walked over to find the off switch, and Mike says, "you're not turning that OFF are you Cleve?" 

No Mr. Wallace, just checking the thermostat!!!!

Sometimes you gotta give!!!!!!

Yessireebob, Cleve !

Working in hot working kitchens and food trucks without the hood on, quite a few AC units have slipped by my ears due to crew requests. If Mike Wallace asked, I'd say the same...lol.

best

Steven

The CS3s that I used must have been faulty.

In one instance ,on a Mayweather interview, It was so bad I went to my car and got a MKH8060.

The CS3 was very noisy and sounded extremely unnatural. For some reason it was amplifying the Highs of the acoustic of the room and also picking up the pool pump outside.

Putting an MKH8060 fixed it.  

In another instance it sounded like a bathroom in a very small room.

It did not sound bad. Just very unnatural.

Edited by RadoStefanov

Maybe so, Rado, it is very possible.

I bought my first CS-3 almost 10 yrs. ago from our honorable administrator, Mr. Wexler, who took excellent care of the mic (or shall we thank Don C. for the TLC? :-), and it's still kicking ass. I have since purchased two more as back-ups, and also for stereo imaging.

Furthermore, I heard the mic in action (on set) during the recruiting scene of Inglorious Basterds, with boom op extraordinaire Tom Hartig and Mark Ulano at the cart, and to me, the mic sounded amazing. Exterior, Berlin suburb noise, historical (and active) airport/flight museum near-by, you get the picture.

Again, all exterior stuff. But now, more often than not, I find myself using it during interior scenes. In my opinion, great mic with excellent off-axis rejection, when compared to the competition. Perhaps the CMIT can do better? I don't own one but others can be the judge of that. 

My ear might be very discriminating or screwed up- coming from acoustic music where omnis and cardioids present space reflection more naturally. Grew up with Geffels and Octavas. First time I heard 415t indoors it was shocking. But also I don't like surround. too much phasing artifacts.  so who knows...Maybe I am defective. (:

Edited by RadoStefanov

I doubt it, and you get to have your own opinions--voice recording is very subjective.  I do a lot of music work and own a great many mics, some considered classics, so I have a pretty good idea of the sound of the general run of mics available.  I also work in post quite a bit, and have been doing an informal survey re interview mics over the last 20+years.  One take away is that how a mic+voice+room sounds on your headphones in that location is a bit different from how it will come across on speakers, esp when mixed with other sounds+music.  The CS3e isn't an ultra "pretty" sounding mic (like Schoeps), but it does make a good sound that sits really well in busy mixes--cutting through in a good way, without needing a lot of EQ or needing to be played louder than I'd like it.  In my location doco work--a lot of what I do anymore--I say that I'm not so much in the "pretty" business as in the "intelligibility" business.   But there are a lot of good choices avail now, and there will always be voices that sound better on one mic over another (if you have the time on-set to compare!).

p

Funny, I was suppose to work on that project in Moscow with my close friend who was there DOP. But unfortunately that time i was in India:( I have spoke with him and got some answers for you)

- They had 3 camera setup in small, noisy hotel room with bad ventilation system. With short time for preparing. 

- The vent was used only between takes because of very hot room 

- Zeppelin was still on because of lack of time for setup. Anyway sound from boom mics was not the best cause of "highway" near to hotel. Noise from the roads is usual problem for recording sound in Moscow, because of the size of the road. Even in center of city

My 5 cents about Sanken CS-3e. I love it. Its my main mic now. But i just received my first Sennheiser mkh-50 and looking forward to compere them in a field. Im planing to use mkh-50 indoor and CS-3e outdoor. I also always have Sennheiser mkh-416 in my bag as backup mic, which is very solid, good sounding mic for some tough scenes. But CS-3e so much more better, especially indoor.