best static 2 mic boom mounting solution?

rcoronado

Hey guys,

I get called out to do 2 person sit down spokes/interview stuff enough that I'm looking for a more robust solution to mount 2 booms overhead in a locked off 1 or 2 camera setup.  Ideally I'd do this all from a single mount (like a C stand with an arm) but still have enough flexibility in the rig that I can position the mics appropriately without much hassle.  

These things are often in people's houses or in a corporate office somewhere, so portability and ease of setup is a factor as well.

Any special tricks or pieces of kit that I should be aware of when designing a solution for this?

Thanks!

Edited by rcoronado

Depends on the interview set-up.

If it's an interviewer / interviewee set-up, where the are facing each other, but have distance in between, having two booms on separate stands as Jack suggests is the most flexible solution, as you can adjust them independently as needed.

if it's a two subject interview where they are sitting right next to each other, a single microphone in between the subjects would fit suit very well, while avoiding potential phasing issues that may occur due to the 3-to-1 rule. Using a wider pattern such as a cardioid or even wide cardioid can provide very natural results even when subjects turn their heads away from the center of the axis of the microphone.

For set-ups where the subjects are well spaced between each other, if you're looking for something inexpensive, you could use something like a Dinkum arm on a boom to set-up a second mic on the same boom and stand, but you will be more limited towards what moves you can do. If you move the boom to fix the positioning on one mic, you will inevitable move the other mic as well. You'll have to then make any fixes to the mic on the Dinkum arm separately.

Lastly, if you want something a bit more complex, you could look at Triad-Orbit, that makes a double boom stand that is quite flexible and very impressive (see link below). I have not tried it out on the field, but I saw it at AES two years ago and liked what I saw:

http://www.triad-orbit.com/o2x

Two stands is clearly optimal, but if you have to do it with one, I'd make sure it was a C-stand (well sand-bagged) either with two grip heads on the arm, each with a baby pin adapter to 3/8" (or 5/8") thread, which you could attach your shock mounts or mic clips to. The other option which gives you a little more flexibility would be a couple of UltraClamps (Trew carries them). They've got ball heads, which makes positioning them much easier.

The problem I foresee is getting the stand close enough to cover the talent yet still be out of frame, since grip arms are typically no longer than 40 inches. Two stands on opposite sides gives you a lot more reach. But if they're right next to each other, it might work.

2 c-stands, 2 booms. All they have to do is move a light a few feet in the wrong direction and your single stand plan is ruined. You'll end up compromising the sound by having to put both mics in less than ideal positions.

Compared to the cost of the rest of the gear what is one more C-stand, sandbag, and boom pole?

Glad you like it. It is made by a mate of mine, Keith Hicks, who used to be a cameraman before he retired. He got tired of my bitching about the need for something like this and produced them to shut me up. Not sure if you are in the USA or the UK or wherever, but if you need help getting one I'll forward you on to Keith or a local supplier.

Edited by Nick Flowers
Grammar corrected