What do you think of the Zaxcom Oasis?

Jim Feeley

Words of wisdom Tom.

Bravo.

A little history

"People" complain about nomad inputs having different gain:

Zaxcom introduces gain calibration.

"People" complaining about screen not as bright:

Zaxcom introduces a mod to brighten the screen.

"People" complaint about Nomad micpres not having a lot of gain:

Zaxcom introduces 10db digital gain

"People" complain about mix8 not being flexible with Nomad:

Zaxcom introduce external faders menu in Nomad

"People" complain about Maxx not being able to send Zaxnet commands

Zaxcom introduces maxx TCOUT zaxnet commands.

"People" complain about AES 1/2 not working with zaxnet

Zaxcom makes a hardware mod to accommodate.

"People" complain that Maxx can record a lot more channels

Zaxcom enables more track recording in Maxx.

These are just the major developments.

"PEOPLE" DO CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RadoStefanov

How many of those items are a genuine complaint? Or are they suggestions to improve an existing product with added features and functionality? 

Zaxcom is perhaps the most responsive company when it comes to listening to users suggestions to improve on a existing product.

If I recall correctly most of those items came from Rado's feedback so zaxcom does listen.

However all the suggestions are improvements that can be made through firmware but I'm fairly sure Zaxcom haven't achieved a transformer like reconfiguration ability, to respond to control surface aspect ratio change requests for each personalized cart, to accommodate those who have to reach two inches further forward than they would like, just yet! :)

Edited by pindrop

However all the suggestions are improvements that can be made through firmware but I fairly sure Zaxcom haven't achieved a transformer like reconfiguration ability, to respond to control surface aspect ratio change requests for each personalized cart, to accommodate those who have to reach two inches further forward than they would like, just yet! :)

Actually Howy is currently working on a shrink ray gun:

Capture.JPG

That already happens. The graphical interface displays each fader strip with what is assigned to the fader (named and color coded if you like), where it is routed to, active input meters, the status of the HPF, notch filters, phase, delay and compressors right on the screen. And when you switch banks the display will switch to follow.

I will post an image later.

Here this if from the Oasis manual

Capture.JPG

I'll add this, a bit contradictory to my previous post, that although I believe this to be over engineered, I have retuned receivers mid-take to increase "inputs", so switching between fader banks probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Still not sure about motorized faders, but there's probably something I'm missing. 

For a Zax user, this is a pretty good item. 

I'll add this, a bit contradictory to my previous post, that although I believe this to be over engineered, I have retuned receivers mid-take to increase "inputs", so switching between fader banks probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Still not sure about motorized faders, but there's probably something I'm missing. 

For a Zax user, this is a pretty good item. 

If you use fader banks, then the motorized faders are the way to get faders to "remember" where they were when you switched out of that bank. When you switch back to bank 1 from bank 2, all the faders will be where they were in bank 1. You kind of need that to happen when using a linear fader

Yep. Transport controls shouldn't be so close to the bottom of the faders. Resting palms (a common position for mixing) becomes a little dangerous for comfort.

Though I didn't see the controller myself, I think it can be prevented adding an option to react STOP recording by holding button 2 sec. or so. (somewhat how the transport controls works on Nomad itself).

Though I didn't see the controller myself, I think it can be prevented adding an option to react STOP recording by holding button 2 sec. or so. (somewhat how the transport controls works on Nomad itself).

If that's an option that would certainly be the way to operate it. I was going off of cstauffer's post since I don't use the controller. Based on experience from other mixers and controllers, I would certainly have it set up that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to get some hands-on time with Zaxcom's Oasis today on the 2015 AES floor in NYC, and I was quite impressed. 

The software is incredibly intuitive (same with Nomad Touch), and using a touch screen is nice enough that I think a lot of people may opt to stop using keyboards for input altogether on their carts. While I do type much faster than I can use a touch screen, the ease of the touch screen and the simplicity of having one less piece of hardware on the cart may override the desire to use a keyboard for many users.

I very much like that the screens are fully customizable, and each cart will look slightly different with it's chosen tablet-to-Oasis pairing. In my case I don't need a massive screen, so I simply won't buy a massive screen. Problem solved. The software is also very nice looking. Really, it looks great in person and I'm sure it's going to turn heads on location and be a joy to work with color coded tracks and customizable layouts. Also, the layouts that you design will remain after reboot, so a company move or even a change of day is no problem once you are set up and comfortable. 

The form factor of the machine was at first curious to me when I saw it online ('deeper' or 'longer' instead of wider and shorter), but in person I don't mind it at all. Powering Oasis and it's interface to Nomad is all incredibly simple. My current cart build is of the bag-cart nature and I was worried about interfacing my Nomad with Oasis. However, I was happy to find out that the USB cable between the two can essentially be as long as I need it (I believe 10' or less is not a problem). For my setup in particular, this means I can set my Nomad a bit farther away from Oasis than is standard for many permanent cart fixtures and there should be no problem at all. 

I like the motorized fader banks as well. Some may opt for a board without the multiple banks and instead go for more physical faders and preamps, but I'm sure there are many people who will find this setup just fine.

Also, I spoke with Glenn today about how the Oasis software communicates with Nomad and it's very comforting to know that Nomad and Oasis are always on the same page once paired and functional. In other words, there is no way to perform an action through the Oasis software and have that action not happen in Nomad and vice versa. For all intents and purposes it's WYSIWYG when you're looking at your Oasis screen. 

The output level controls on the Oasis are interesting. They are not linked and are also variable. This is one of those things I'll just have to experience before I can truly comment on it.

With some keys on the Oasis not currently user assignable or in use, I'm sure there is more to come over time with this machine. It's already incredibly robust, and the price is right for the feature set in my opinion. 

Overall my experience was very positive and this machine is a 'buy' for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit stream of consciousness, and not a well written review. Forgive the randomness. 

I just spent about 2 weeks with a demo Oasis on a narrative cart job and really really like it. I used to do a lot more cart work, and had a Fusion and Mix 12. For those familiar with the Mix12 / Deva setup, just a Nomad and Oasis will feel very familiar, but upgraded. Add the tablet to it, and it takes the experience to another level. I was using a 7" WinBook that I got for Nomad touch in a bag. I think for a cart you want a bigger screen to take advantage of all the potential info, *maybe* one with a little more processor? (1) A few people have posted pictures of their layouts, and it's great. until now, the one thing i really preferred of the Fusion/Deva was the larger touchscreen interface. I've gotten used to the Nomad screen for bag work, and now on the cart you can have as big of a touch screen as you want. Definitely love that, even if you are using it more as a screen than interface, it's nice. I don't think I took any screenshots of my tablet layout, but i might have some pictures that show it. I never had more than 4 or 5 people wired, so I didn't need to use multiple fader banks. I like the fader movement. I like the transport controls on the mixer. Similar to the Mix12, and i never accidentally hit them with either mixing surface. The Oasis plugs into the serial port of the Nomad, so I still used a standard keyboard in the USB port (of the Nomad) and it worked great. Same thing I did with my Fusion/Mix12 setup. I didn't 100% put it though its paces. There are some features I didn't really get into. I was in the middle of a project when I got it, so i hooked it up and went to work. Obvious things I used the most, transport controls, faders, trim adjustment, slate mic, PFL buttons. Maybe habit, but to get into the menu, i still reached for the Nomad itself (instead of the Oasis, or tablet). for metadata, my keyboard F keys take me directly to scene, take note, etc and those all worked with this setup. I used those buttons since I was going to type on the keyboard anyway. 

When I sold my Fusion/Mix12, i was worried that any future cart work would be a letdown, but this is even better. I definitely want to buy an Oasis when my next cart job comes up. If i get back into doing 2-3+ films a year (or other cart work), this is a no-brainer to buy. I am really impressed with it. 

I'm pretty sure you can download the Oasis tablet software and see what the layout options are, even when it's not connected to an Oasis. 

(1) My tablet may not be set up the most efficiently, it's the first MS Windows thing I have ever owned and has a bunch of pre-installed nonsense.

We live in a time when there's so many great gear options.  Cudos to all manufacturers working to bring these options to us.  There's a modern trend with social media and forums to give end users voices they didn't have before.  I think manufacturers should welcome this less filtered and direct connection with their users and shouldn't feel obligated to defend every single little criticism, because I really don't think it is an attack, but really just a form of enthusiasm for the product.  If we didn't care, we wouldn't comment in the first place.

+1

Words of wisdom Tom.

Bravo.

A little history

"People" complain about nomad inputs having different gain:

Zaxcom introduces gain calibration.

"People" complaining about screen not as bright:

Zaxcom introduces a mod to brighten the screen.

"People" complaint about Nomad micpres not having a lot of gain:

Zaxcom introduces 10db digital gain

"People" complain about mix8 not being flexible with Nomad:

Zaxcom introduce external faders menu in Nomad

"People" complain about Maxx not being able to send Zaxnet commands

Zaxcom introduces maxx TCOUT zaxnet commands.

"People" complain about AES 1/2 not working with zaxnet

Zaxcom makes a hardware mod to accommodate.

"People" complain that Maxx can record a lot more channels

Zaxcom enables more track recording in Maxx.

These are just the major developments.

"PEOPLE" DO CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/8/2016 at 11:11 AM, Derek H said:

Do the oasis trim knobs also switch channels when you switch banks?

Any update on the Mac version of the oasis software?

Hi there. I have a Nomad / Oasis convo and I'm very happy so far. In my experience the trim does not change if the fader strip is assigned to a new input. I have Analog 1 to 6 and Ret 1/2 on the first bank and Analog 1 to5 and Ret 3/4 on the second bank. When adjusting trim Ret 3/4 on Bank 2 the trim affect Ret 1/2 NOT 3/4. I have to go to the ENG menu and pre-adjust Ret 3/4 gains there. Maybe it has been done already if not could this be a software upgrade in the future? It is hard to find topics sometimes ,and maybe this has been discussed already. 

I hope everybody is safe and well