Grammar

al mcguire

• 1 month later...

Vexillologists will note that the Royal Standard is borne by both sides in the illustration above. Oddly, that on the right (the rebels' side) is correct, with the  Arms of the King of France (azure seme of fleurs-de-lis) placed in the first and third quarters; while the King's side on the left has the French Arms placed incorrectly in the second and fourth quarters - the quarters are reckoned with reference to their position next to the flag staff. The pattern was started by Edward III in 1340, when he assumed the title of King of France because he was really cross that France was sending aid to Scotland.

Strictly speaking both versions are wrong as Richard II (1377-99) who was monarch at the time of this revolt impaled the Edward III pattern with the legendary arms of Edward the Confessor (or, a cross patonce between five martlets on a field azure). But I don't want to be picky.*

I'll fetch me coat.

*British Flags by W.G. Perrin. Cambridge University Press 1922.

Edited by Nick Flowers

Talk about a Pedant's revolt...

We must distinguish between grammar and usage. . . . Each language has its own systematic ways through which words and sentences are assembled to convey meaning. This system is grammar. But within the general grammar of a language, certain alternative ways of speaking and writing acquire particular social status, and become the conventional usage.

best

Steven

On 11/30/2015, 8:33:03, John Blankenship said:

Actually, the sentence is implied with the "is" being understood.  

"It all depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

--Bill Clinton to the Grand Jury, September, 1998.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/chatterbox/1998/09/bill_clinton_and_the_meaning_of_is.html

21 minutes ago, Marc Wielage said:

"It all depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

--Bill Clinton to the Grand Jury, September, 1998.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/chatterbox/1998/09/bill_clinton_and_the_meaning_of_is.html

LOTD.

...so, therefore:

Lou:  Is that what it depends on?

Bud:  No.  That would depend on what that is.

Lou:  So, it is that?

Bud:   Exactly!

Lou:  Exactly what?

Bud:  That is.

Lou:  That is what?

Bud:  It sure is.

Lou:  It is?

Bud:  No, it isn't.  That is.

Lou:  Is what?

Bud:  What the meaning of the word is is 

Lou:  It is!

Bud:  No, it isn't.  Is is.

Lou:  Let's go back to baseball.  It's less confusing!

Bud:  No, I told you, it isn't.  Is is.

Lou:  Batter up!

-----

A string walks into a bar and the bartender yells out: "Hey you! We don't serve strings in here, take a hike!"

So the string walks outside, messes his up his hair, ties himself up, and indignantly walks back into the bar.

The bartender immediately spots him and says: "Hey aren't you the string I just kicked out of here?", to which the string replies:

"No, I'm a frayed knot."

:P

19 minutes ago, Rachel Cameron said:

A string walks into a bar and the bartender yells out: "Hey you! We don't serve strings in here, take a hike!"

So the string walks outside, messes his up his hair, ties himself up, and indignantly walks back into the bar.

The bartender immediately spots him and says: "Hey aren't you the string I just kicked out of here?", to which the string replies:

"No, I'm a frayed knot."

:P

ouch

"mom, the joke it hurted me"