3 month indie shoot in India

Governor

Hello all,

I'm in discussions with a producer about an indie shoot in India next year and as all my work to date has been confined to North America I thought I would request a little first-hand knowledge from those of you who have done this sort of thing before.

I have many questions - some of which I'm sure to forget now and will come back to ask once they arrive back in my brain. Any tips at all are immensely appreciated.

1. Per Diem in India. What would be a good going rate to ask for such a shoot? I usually stick to $75/day for most cities and $25-$50 more for places like New York.

2. Security. I am not yet a world traveller but am certainly intrigued by spending time abroad. That said, I want to come back safe and sound. I'm still waiting to hear where exactly where we will be shooting (so this question is premature) but in my negotiations should I be inquiring about the productions plans for security/a fixer? 

3. Visas. Any tips on getting a work visa? 

4. Retainers. I have never asked for payment up front for a shoot, but as this one is quite long (for me) should I be asking for a certain amount up front?

5. Travel Days/Down Days/Work Days/Prep Days. Once gear requirements are sorted I had planned on offering a 5 day week on rentals and charging full labour rates for every day I'm in India as well as full day rates for travel to and from and for a couple of prep & wrap days at the beginning and end. Of course, overtime to be added as needed. For a project of this length would you make any concessions to this? 

6. Accommodations. I plan to ask for a single room to myself no matter where we are. Anything I should be aware of on this front?

7. Boom Op/3rd. Getting a 3rd might be pushing it, but a boom op will be a necessity. I know there is a gentleman named Vin on this site I hope to reach out to for recommendations. Any one else here from India and care to send a name or two my way?

Aside from that, for anyone who has been to this part of the world before and would care to impart some wisdom on me I sure would be grateful. I've read a few threads on here already with good tips - bottled water only, consider eating vegetarian, be ready for heat, etc.. This is so new to me however and I like to over-prepare, so no minor detail will be considered trivial.

Thanks!

Hi Governor

I haven't shot in India, but I do live and shoot in Pakistan, which is right next door and very similar.

$75/day should be enough, if it's apart from accommodation. A very good meal costs around $15-$20 here. More than $75 and you'll be really luxurying it up. Which can be nice...

Who else is going with you from production? India's much safer than Pakistan, but I can't say anything about a security protocol there. 

It gets very very hot in this part of the world. I drink about 3 litres of water while at shoot, and still find I don't need to pee at all. It all sweats itself out. I also drink water with vitamin powder to keep energetic and alert. It's tough.

Because it's so hot, people here wear cotton a lot. Which your lavs will be grateful for. 

You should wear shorts weather-wise, but some areas are more conservative and shorts are frowned upon. 

Of course it's incredibly noisy on the streets here. Crazy traffic and non-stop honking. I've travelled around quite a bit, and have never heard as much noise anywhere else in the world.

Things are relaxed here. Sometimes too relaxed. Shops open very late, and stay opened till very late. Things can take a while to get done. If someone says they'll meet you at 7, it could mean 9 in real time.

And yes, bottled water is a must.

I'll post more as I think of things.

Faiz Z

Questions about rates, etc is really up to you to work on/decide, since i would think these questions are not related to where you are working. 

7. Boom Op/3rd. Getting a 3rd might be pushing it, but a boom op will be a necessity. I know there is a gentleman named Vin on this site I hope to reach out to for recommendations. Any one else here from India and care to send a name or two my way?

Boom op - of course, really good ones are rare, only 2/3 imho. Rest are many notches below (my standard). You SHOULD get a third, and a good one. I can recommend people who have trained under me. The best way to liason with the rest of the Indian crew and production etc. Availability depends on your dates etc.  

Depending on where you are shooting, food options vary - most cities and towns offer great food. Some of it may be spicy and hot (chilli levels), some of it not that much. 

Water - bottled water is easy to get everywhere. I would avoid raw vegetables and fruit with skin.  

Food - depending on the place, it may be DIFFICULT to find good clean food for a high price, meaning you may actually find better food for a moderate price rather than going to a five-star hotel far away from you, etc... 

i am easy to find if you want to ask me anything... 

-vin

Hi Governor

I haven't shot in India, but I do live and shoot in Pakistan, which is right next door and very similar.

$75/day should be enough, if it's apart from accommodation. A very good meal costs around $15-$20 here. More than $75 and you'll be really luxurying it up. Which can be nice...

Who else is going with you from production? India's much safer than Pakistan, but I can't say anything about a security protocol there. 

It gets very very hot in this part of the world. I drink about 3 litres of water while at shoot, and still find I don't need to pee at all. It all sweats itself out. I also drink water with vitamin powder to keep energetic and alert. It's tough.

Because it's so hot, people here wear cotton a lot. Which your lavs will be grateful for. 

You should wear shorts weather-wise, but some areas are more conservative and shorts are frowned upon. 

Of course it's incredibly noisy on the streets here. Crazy traffic and non-stop honking. I've travelled around quite a bit, and have never heard as much noise anywhere else in the world.

Things are relaxed here. Sometimes too relaxed. Shops open very late, and stay opened till very late. Things can take a while to get done. If someone says they'll meet you at 7, it could mean 9 in real time.

And yes, bottled water is a must.

I'll post more as I think of things.

Faiz Z

Thank you for taking the time to reply! As far as I know right now, the producer/director and DP are the only guesses I have as to who will be there. It is a feature length indie film with a fair sized cast. I'm hoping the crew will be sufficient, but to this point, it hasn't been brought up.

I've got tons of that vitamin powder on standby so it'll be great to put it to use. Good to know about the 'relaxed' way of life. I'm pretty chill myself, so I should fit in!

Questions about rates, etc is really up to you to work on/decide, since i would think these questions are not related to where you are working. 

Boom op - of course, really good ones are rare, only 2/3 imho. Rest are many notches below (my standard). You SHOULD get a third, and a good one. I can recommend people who have trained under me. The best way to liason with the rest of the Indian crew and production etc. Availability depends on your dates etc.  

Depending on where you are shooting, food options vary - most cities and towns offer great food. Some of it may be spicy and hot (chilli levels), some of it not that much. 

Water - bottled water is easy to get everywhere. I would avoid raw vegetables and fruit with skin.  

Food - depending on the place, it may be DIFFICULT to find good clean food for a high price, meaning you may actually find better food for a moderate price rather than going to a five-star hotel far away from you, etc... 

i am easy to find if you want to ask me anything... 

-vin

Thank you for replying Vin. As negotiations proceed for this project I may just reach out to you a bit more personally than on this forum, but it is still very early and I don't want to put the cart before the horse. You are right on the rates - I'm usually very confident in setting those for myself. Indie projects are not usually my thing however, so in trying to find a balance that is fair for both sides I'm finding myself changing my estimate numerous times. I feel I'm where I should be now so hopefully the producer does as well. 

I have indeed asked for a utility and am hoping the value is not missed. When the time comes for names I will also reach out in hopes you can help me there.

India is an absolutely must do destination.I am so glad I have had the opportunity to travel there.

Let Vin guide you and you will be fine.

Is it wrong I'm giddy that you have taken the time to reply to my post!? Thanks so much Simon - any hesitation I felt towards visiting this faraway land is gone after doing some research. Love your work!!

Hello all,

I'm in discussions with a producer about an indie shoot in India next year and as all my work to date has been confined to North America I thought I would request a little first-hand knowledge from those of you who have done this sort of thing before.

I have many questions - some of which I'm sure to forget now and will come back to ask once they arrive back in my brain. Any tips at all are immensely appreciated.

1. Per Diem in India. What would be a good going rate to ask for such a shoot? I usually stick to $75/day for most cities and $25-$50 more for places like New York.

2. Security. I am not yet a world traveller but am certainly intrigued by spending time abroad. That said, I want to come back safe and sound. I'm still waiting to hear where exactly where we will be shooting (so this question is premature) but in my negotiations should I be inquiring about the productions plans for security/a fixer? 

3. Visas. Any tips on getting a work visa? 

4. Retainers. I have never asked for payment up front for a shoot, but as this one is quite long (for me) should I be asking for a certain amount up front?

5. Travel Days/Down Days/Work Days/Prep Days. Once gear requirements are sorted I had planned on offering a 5 day week on rentals and charging full labour rates for every day I'm in India as well as full day rates for travel to and from and for a couple of prep & wrap days at the beginning and end. Of course, overtime to be added as needed. For a project of this length would you make any concessions to this? 

6. Accommodations. I plan to ask for a single room to myself no matter where we are. Anything I should be aware of on this front?

Aside from that, for anyone who has been to this part of the world before and would care to impart some wisdom on me I sure would be grateful. I've read a few threads on here already with good tips - bottled water only, consider eating vegetarian, be ready for heat, etc.. This is so new to me however and I like to over-prepare, so no minor detail will be considered trivial.

Thanks!

Make sure your flight is round trip.

I've traveled from Canada to India for a shoot before. The one issue I remember was I had all of my per diem in rupees and then realized I had too much to enter the country with. So I had to switch it back over to US currency and then get it switched again once I arrived. 

I guess it depends where you are but I was in a small city and I couldn't spend $200 US currency if I tried. Everything was super cheap. Mumbai was a different story though.

Stick to bottled water. And enjoy!